1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the maximum stress

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    in the below question

Capture.JPG
    2 identical boards are glued together at their centers, the strength of the glue is 10Mpa shearing and 20Mpa normal, the strength of the boards is 10Mpa shearing and 30Mpa normal

i found the stress on the system and found

[tex]\sigma[/tex]xx= 5P
    [tex]\sigma[/tex]yy= P
    [tex]\sigma[/tex]xy= 0

this meaning that [tex]\theta[/tex]=0 is the principal plane and that
    [tex]\sigma[/tex]s max=+-2P

now the question asks what the maximum value of P can be,
    i clearly need to compare the values of the principal stresses to the strengths of the wood and glue,
    my question is whether i need to compare the principal normal stress to the glues strength even though it is at 45 degrees to the plane where the glue lies??

meaning: the glue lies on the x axis but the maximum stress is at 45 degrees so do i need to compare the normal strength at 90 degrees (P) or the maximum stress (5P)??
    same goes for the shear stress?

at first i thought i just need to compare it to the stress perpindicular to the x axis, and the shear stress parallel to it, but someone told me that since the "stress cube" is tiny and the glue does have some volume, i need to compare the maximum stresses to the glues strength

therefore i would get P<=4

whereas had i not done that ii would have P<=5

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?