Calculating Variance for Randomly Drawn Beads in a Necklace

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mean and variance of the number of unlike pairs of adjacent beads in a necklace made of 5 beads drawn at random from a box containing a large number of beads. The probability function is calculated by determining the probability of each bead being a different color from the previous bead. This leads to a probability distribution that describes a sequence of events with two outcomes and allows for the calculation of the mean and variance.
Jessica21
1. A necklace consists of 5 beads on a string. The beads for making the necklace are drawn at random from a box containing a very large number of beads. 2/3 of the beads are pink and 1/3 are blue. find the mean and variance of the number of unlike pairs of adjacent beads in the necklace.

I am having trouble understanding what they mean by " the number of unlike pairs of adjacent beads"

2. well i know mean = E(x) = sum of all x of xf(x)
and Var (x)= E[(X-mean)^2]
3. attempt: so if i number the beads that go in the necklace from 1 to 5.
let X1 = 1 if beads 1 and 2 are different , and X1 = 0 if they are the same.
let X2 = 1 if beads 2 and 3 are different, and X2 = 0 if they are the same.
let X5 = 1 if beads 5 and 1 are different , and X5 = 0 if they are the same.

but i don't know how to find the probability function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you have just drawn a single bead, can you then calculate the probability for the next bead to be different? If so, can you extend this calculation to a third, fourth and fifth bead? Perhaps you can recognize this probability distribution and use this to calculate the mean and variance for unlike pairs?

Last edited:
Um I am not sure if I get what you are trying to say but I have given it some thought and come up with the following!

if X1 =1then that means bead 1 = pink and bead 2 = blue , or bead 1 = blue and bead 2 = pink

so P (X1 =1 ) = (2/3)(1/3)+ (1/3)(2/3) = 4/9
and P (x1= 0) = 5/9

Do I just continue this for the rest of X2 through X5?

thank you!

Jessica21 said:
if X1 =1then that means bead 1 = pink and bead 2 = blue , or bead 1 = blue and bead 2 = pink

so P (X1 =1 ) = (2/3)(1/3)+ (1/3)(2/3) = 4/9
and P (x1= 0) = 5/9

Correct. Notice, that the reason both first and second bead have same (and independent) probability for each color is that there are a very large number of beads.

Do I just continue this for the rest of X2 through X5?

Yes.

Some more hints if you need it:
If you draw a third bead and compare that to the second bead, what is the probability that the second and third bead are unlike. And again when you draw the fourth and fifth bead? After the fifth it seems you now have four pairs, each with the same constant probability of being unlike. Do you know of any probability distribution that describes a sequence of events where each event has two outcomes with constant probability p and 1-p? Can you use this to calculate the mean and variance of the number of unlike pairs out of 4 pairs in total?

I get it now!
thank you so much !

1. What is the definition of mean and variance?

The mean is the average value of a set of numbers, calculated by adding all the numbers in the set and dividing by the total number of values. Variance is a measure of how spread out the numbers in a set are from the mean.

2. How do you calculate the mean and variance?

To find the mean, add all the values in the set and divide by the total number of values. To calculate the variance, subtract the mean from each value, square the differences, add them together, and divide by the total number of values.

3. What is the purpose of finding the mean and variance?

The mean and variance help to describe and summarize a set of data. They can give insights into the central tendency and spread of the data, which can be useful for making comparisons and drawing conclusions.

4. Can the mean and variance be affected by outliers in the data set?

Yes, outliers in a data set can significantly impact the mean and variance. Outliers are extreme values that are much higher or lower than the rest of the data and can skew the results.

5. How can the mean and variance be used in statistical analysis?

The mean and variance are important measures in statistical analysis. They can be used to calculate other important statistics, such as standard deviation and correlation coefficients, and can help determine the significance of results in hypothesis testing.