Finding the MLE of a Poisson Distribution

In summary, a Poisson Distribution is a probability distribution that describes the number of events that occur in a fixed interval of time or space, when these events occur independently and at a constant rate. The Maximum Likelihood Estimation (MLE) method is a statistical technique used to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution, such as the mean or variance, by maximizing the likelihood of obtaining the observed data. To find the MLE of a Poisson Distribution, you take the derivative of the log-likelihood function with respect to the parameter lambda, set it equal to zero, and solve for lambda. The formula for the MLE of a Poisson Distribution is lambda = sum of observed values / number of observations. The assumptions for using MLE to
laura_a

Homework Statement

Suppose that X has a poisson distribution with parameter [tex] \lambda [/tex]. Given a random sample of n observations, find the MLE of [tex] \lambda [/tex], [tex] \hat{\lambda} [/tex].

Homework Equations

The MLE can be found by
[tex] \Sigma^{n}_{i=1} \frac{e^{- \lambda} \lambda^{x_{i}}}{x_{i}!}[/tex]
= [tex] e^{- \lambda} \times ( \frac{\lambda^{x_1}}{x_{1}!} + \frac{\lambda^{x_2}}{x_{2}!} + . . . )[/tex]
=e^{- \lambda} \Sigma \lambda^{x_i} \div x_{i}! (couldn't get the latex to work from this line)
=e^{- \lambda} \Sigma \lambda^{x_i} \times \frac{1}{x_{i}!}

Now this is the bit that I think I've stuffed up - if not already

= - \lambda log(y) \times x_i \times log(\frac{1}{x_{i}}

I know what the answer is meant to be, I was given it in the text

\hat{\lambda} = \bar{x}

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong, or if I'm even close to being on the right track. I'm a correspondance student so pretty much learning it from reading the notes and the textbook which has no examples!

Thanks heaps

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach seems to be on the right track, but there are a few errors in your equations. First, the MLE for the Poisson distribution is actually just the sample mean, as given by \hat{\lambda} = \bar{x}. This is a well-known property of the Poisson distribution and can be derived using calculus.

Secondly, your equations for the MLE are a bit confusing and not entirely correct. The correct equation for the MLE is:

L(\lambda) = \prod_{i=1}^{n} \frac{e^{-\lambda} \lambda^{x_i}}{x_i!}

Taking the natural logarithm of both sides and using the log property log(ab) = log(a) + log(b), we get:

ln(L(\lambda)) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \left[ -\lambda + x_i ln(\lambda) - ln(x_i!) \right]

Next, we take the derivative of ln(L(\lambda)) with respect to \lambda and set it equal to 0 to find the maximum:

\frac{d}{d\lambda} ln(L(\lambda)) = -n + \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{x_i}{\lambda} = 0

Solving for \lambda, we get \hat{\lambda} = \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i = \bar{x}, which is the sample mean.

So in summary, the MLE for the Poisson distribution with parameter \lambda is simply the sample mean \bar{x}. I hope this helps clarify the process for you. Good luck with your studies!

What is a Poisson Distribution?

A Poisson Distribution is a probability distribution that describes the number of events that occur in a fixed interval of time or space, when these events occur independently and at a constant rate.

What is the Maximum Likelihood Estimation (MLE) method?

The Maximum Likelihood Estimation (MLE) method is a statistical technique used to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution, such as the mean or variance. It is based on the principle of finding the values of the parameters that maximize the likelihood of obtaining the observed data.

How do you find the MLE of a Poisson Distribution?

To find the MLE of a Poisson Distribution, you need to take the derivative of the log-likelihood function with respect to the parameter lambda, set it equal to zero, and solve for lambda. This will give you the value of lambda that maximizes the likelihood of obtaining the observed data.

What is the formula for the MLE of a Poisson Distribution?

The formula for the MLE of a Poisson Distribution is lambda = sum of observed values / number of observations.

What are the assumptions for using MLE to estimate a Poisson Distribution?

The assumptions for using MLE to estimate a Poisson Distribution are that the events occur independently and at a constant rate, and that the events are counted in a fixed interval of time or space. Additionally, the observed data should be a count of events, and the number of observations should be large enough to accurately estimate the parameters.