Finding the moment of inertia and torque for a spinning ball

In summary, the ball goes around in a circle of radius 5 m, and it makes a 26 rad angle change in 5 seconds. The ball weighs 0.3 kg, and its moment of inertia is just mr2. The torque is equal to the angular acceleration, and it is just the rate of change of angular momentum.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

A ball is going around in a circle of radius 5 m.
It starts from rest, and goes through an angle change of 26 rad in 5 seconds.

The ball weighs 0.3 kg.

Find its moment of inertia, and find the torque about the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm doing seems too simple, so I bet it's wrong...

I thought moment of inertia was just mass times radius2. My textbook doesn't give it for this situation but it gives the moment of inertia for other shapes, all of which are this but multiplied by some factor.

And I think the torque would be zero because the force acting on the ball would be towards the center of the circle, and since torque is r x F, and F is 180 to r, rFsin(180) = 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
jumbogala said:

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm doing seems too simple, so I bet it's wrong...

I thought moment of inertia was just mass times radius2. My textbook doesn't give it for this situation but it gives the moment of inertia for other shapes, all of which are this but multiplied by some factor.

And I think the torque would be zero because the force acting on the ball would be towards the center of the circle, and since torque is r x F, and F is 180 to r, rFsin(180) = 0.

Well it is just a point mass so the inertia is just mr2. The torque would be equal to the moment of inertia*angular acceleration.

Why is the torque equal to the angular acceleration though?

jumbogala said:
Why is the torque equal to the angular acceleration though?

Torque is the rate of change of angular momentum.

[tex]\tau = \frac{d}{dt}(I \omega)= I \frac{d\omega}{dt}=I \alpha[/tex]

Oh okay, thank you.

This made me wonder if you can find the radial component of the force on the ball using torque, since torque is the rotational equivalent of force.

I was going to find the radial acceleration, but I don't know how seeing as the radial acceleration is equal to ω2r, and ω is constantly changing!

What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated based on the mass and distribution of mass of an object.

How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia for a spinning ball can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the ball, and r is the radius of the ball.

Why is it important to find the moment of inertia for a spinning ball?

The moment of inertia is important because it helps determine how much torque is needed to change the rotational motion of an object. In the case of a spinning ball, the moment of inertia will affect how much force is needed to change its direction or speed of rotation.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force applied to an object that causes it to rotate. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation.

How can torque be calculated for a spinning ball?

To calculate torque for a spinning ball, the moment of inertia must first be determined. Then, torque can be calculated using the formula τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration of the ball.