1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the moment of inertia

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two uniform square laminas are combined into a single body. One lamina ABCD has mass 5m and the other lamina PQRS has mass m. The lamina PQRS has side 2a, and its vertices are at the mid-points of the sides of ABCD, with P on AB and S on AD. The line PS meets AC at K, and the body rotates in a vertical plane about a horizontal axis k through K (see diagram). Find the moment of inertia of the body about k.

2. Relevant equations

parallel and the perpendicular axes theorems

3. The attempt at a solution

If i understand the question correctly, is the "dashed"(broken)line, the axis about which we need to find the moment of inertia ? If that is the case, here is what i did :

Using the perpendicular axes theorem : (let [itex]I_{A}[/itex] be the moment of inertia about the required axis for ABCD only)
    2[itex]I_{A}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{5m(2a^{2}+2a^{2})}{3}[/itex]
    [itex]I_{A}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{10ma^{2}}{3}[/itex]

Similarly, let [itex]I_{B}[/itex] be the moment of inertia about the required axis for PQRS only :
    Using the perpendicular axes theorem,
    [itex]I_{B}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{ma^{2}}{3}[/itex]

The total moment of inertia = [itex]I_{A}[/itex] + [itex]I_{B}[/itex]
    Total = [itex]\frac{11ma^{2}}{3}[/itex]

The problem is that the solution notes state the answer to be [itex]\frac{40ma^{2}}{3}[/itex]

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since k was not indicated on the diagram it's a bit of a puzzle all right as to what the axis of rotation is. It's supposed to be a "horizontal" axis which would seem to eliminate the dashed line though. I think the intended axis is a "hozizontal" line passing thru point K. In other words, the axis of rotation is parallel to line AB, and also to a line drawn thru SQ, and situated inbetween those two and passing thru point K.

Happy integration!

4. Apr 1, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would interpret rotating "in a ... plane" as meaning the axis is perpendicular to the lamina.

5. Apr 2, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That sounds sound. I agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted