Finding the Net Charge of the Earth

In summary, the Earth is surrounded by an inward-pointing electric field with a magnitude of 142 N/C near the surface. Using Gauss's Law and the surface area of the Earth, the net charge on the Earth is calculated to be 7.26e+16 C. To find the number of excess electrons per square meter on the Earth's surface, the electric field is multiplied by the permittivity of free space and the surface area of the Earth, resulting in a value of 4.02e+24 electrons. Thus, the number of excess electrons per square meter on the Earth's surface is 7.86e9.
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

The Earth is surrounded by an electric field, pointing inward at every point. Assume a magnitude of E = 142N/C near the surface.
a) What is the net charge on the Earth?
b) How many excess electrons per square meter on the Earth's surface does this correspond to?

E = 142 N/C
Radius of Earth = 6.3781 km = 6,378,100 m

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law = EA

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know that i have to use Gauss's Law here. Which is simple the Electric Field, (given) and the area of the Earth which is found be 4πr2

Gauss's Law = EA
= (142) * (4πr2)
= (142) * (4π(6,378,100)2)
= (142) * (5.11e+14)
= 7.26e+16 C

however. After attempting that, i found it wasn't the right answer. Where did i go wrong?

i haven't attempted the second part since i need to know the first part. But i assume that to do it i would have to find the surface area of the Earth and divide it by the number i found in part a, then divide that by 1.6e-19 to find the number of electrons?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. I solved the problem.

If you don't mind, please post the solution and what brought you to it. It's always helpful for others who might have a similar question to be able to see how others having the same issue might successfully approach it.

Gauss's Law = EA
= (142) * (4πr2)
= (142) * (4π(6,378,100)2)
= (142) * (5.11e+14)
= 7.26e+16 C

θ = 180° for each ∆A => -1
(Basically means it's negative since electric field and ∆A are in complete opposite directions So Electric Field then is just a negative)

Gauss's Law = q / E0
q = (-E * A * E0 )
q = -E * E0 * Area
q = -[142] * [8.85e-12] * [4π(6,378,100)2]
q = [-7.26e+16 C] * [8.85e-12 C2 / Nm2]
q = -6.425e+5

Number of Electrons (Part b)

We know the electric field of the Earth = -6.425e+5
That is -6.425e+5 / -1.6e-19 = 4.02e+24 Electrons
The Earth is 5.11e+14 Square meters

5.11e+14 / 4.02e+24
= 7.86e9 Electrons per Square Meter

Last edited:
Looks good. Thank you. For future reference, by the way, you can simply write Gauss's law as flux = closed integral of E dot dA = qencl. / epsilon0 (and using the TeX tags you can represent flux with the capital Phi using ' \Phi ' and lowercase epsilon w/ subscript 0 ("epsilon naught") as ' \epsilon_{0} ' -- case-sensitive for both of those, and the closed integral as ' \oint_{S} ' to show it's the closed integral over the surface).

You can also simply rewrite it in ASCII if you're in a hurry as

q_enc = eps_0 * (E . dA)

where the boldface letters represent vector quantities.

One of the great things about PF is that it has a wide range of easy-to-learn tools to let you express your mathematics clearly.

But yeah, you got the answer right. At this point I'm basically just talking style: It's less confusing to the reader when you say "flux" or "Phi" equals this or that instead of saying "Gauss's Law" equals something.

Also is it possible to show how your units cancel out to be Coulombs only for the net charge of the earth? It would help a lot since I am trying to figure out how the units cancel. Thanks in advance.

Also for your last part (5.11e14)/(4.02e24) =/= 7.89e9.
(5.11e14)/(4.02e24) = 1.27e-10.

I think you just switched the numbers around wrong but the answers are correct.

Last edited:

1. What is the net charge of the Earth?

The net charge of the Earth is zero. This means that the total amount of positive charge and negative charge on the Earth is equal.

2. How is the net charge of the Earth determined?

The net charge of the Earth is determined by calculating the difference between the total positive and negative charges on the Earth's surface. This can be done using various methods, such as measuring the electric field or analyzing the composition of the Earth's crust.

3. Can the net charge of the Earth change?

Yes, the net charge of the Earth can change due to various natural phenomena such as lightning strikes, volcanic eruptions, and solar wind. However, these changes are usually temporary and the net charge of the Earth returns to zero over time.

4. Why is it important to know the net charge of the Earth?

Knowing the net charge of the Earth is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the Earth's magnetic field and its interactions with other celestial bodies. It also plays a role in atmospheric processes and can have an impact on technology, such as satellite communications.

5. How does the net charge of the Earth affect living organisms?

The net charge of the Earth has very little effect on living organisms. However, some studies have suggested that changes in the Earth's net charge may have a small impact on the behavior of animals that use the Earth's magnetic field for navigation, such as birds and sea turtles.