Calculating Orbital Period from Semi-Major Axis Alone

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of determining the orbital period of an object with only the orbital radius given. The speaker is unsure if they are missing an equation or if the teacher forgot to provide the necessary information. It is suggested that the mass of the central object being orbited (in this case, the Earth) can be looked up and is usually provided on a test. The conversation also touches on the consideration of circular vs. elliptical orbits and the use of the term "orbital radius" to refer to the semi-major axis.
colbenstein

Homework Statement

Is it possible to figure out the orbital period of an object with only the orbital radius given? --- It seems to be with the equations given too little information

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the central mass about which the object is orbiting?

No... I am just assuming that the teacher forgot to give us the mass. I just wasn't sure if i was missing some kind of equation which would make that unnecessary. I understand that orbit is an elipse, and that what it orbits is one of the foci. is there any way to use that information without having the mass of what is being orbitted? The problem relates the central mass which it orbits (the earth), but gives us nothing about it. It's a test review question, so that's something that I wouldn't be able to look up during the actual test.

Last edited:
You are told that it is orbiting the Earth, so you are expected to look up the mass of the Earth; perhaps it is given in your textbook. I doubt the teacher forgot.

On a test, that information would most likely be provided for you; I've never heard of a teacher who expects you to memorize the mass of the Earth for a physics test.

Also, usually in introductory physics classes, only circular orbits are considered. The term "orbital radius" implies circles, as ellipses don't have a radius. You don't have to worry about elliptical orbits, foci, or anything like that.

Or more generally, interpret "orbital radius" to mean semi-major axis (a bit of a misnomer, but it is common). Once again you do not have to worry about eccentricity.

1. What is an orbital period?

An orbital period is the time it takes for an object to complete one full orbit around another object, such as a planet around a star. It is typically measured in Earth years, but can also be measured in days, hours, or even minutes depending on the size and distance of the objects.

2. How do you calculate the orbital period?

The orbital period can be calculated using Kepler's third law of planetary motion, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. This means that the closer an object is to the center of its orbit, the shorter its orbital period will be.

3. What factors affect the orbital period?

The orbital period is affected by the mass and distance of the two objects in orbit. The larger the mass of the central object, the longer the orbital period will be. Similarly, the greater the distance between the two objects, the longer the orbital period will be.

4. Can the orbital period change?

Yes, the orbital period can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, tidal forces, and changes in the mass or distance of the objects in orbit.

5. How is the orbital period useful in science?

The orbital period is a key factor in understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies and their interactions. It is used to predict eclipses, study the stability of planetary systems, and determine the habitability of exoplanets. It also helps scientists track the motion of objects in space and make accurate predictions about their future positions.