1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the output of an LTI system when we know the system function

1. Aug 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that we have a linear time invariant system with a system function

[tex]H(s) = \frac{s+1}{s^{2} + 2s + 2} [/tex]

we want to find the output of the system when the input is [tex] x(t) = e^{\left | t \right |}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

what I tried to do is find the laplace transform of x(t), then since we know the laplace transform of the system function and it is known that Y(s) = H(s) X(s)

I thought that it would be ok to find Y(s) and then using the inverse laplace transform of a rational function(which is easy to find) I can find the given output..

now, I have a problem with the LT of e^|t|

we can rewrite this as

[tex] e^{|t|} = e^{t} u(t) + e^{-t} u(-t) [/tex]

that's fine.. now it's easier to find the LT of e^|t|

we have

[tex]e^{t} u(t) \overset{L}{\rightarrow} \frac{1}{s-1} [/tex] with region of convergence Real{s} > 1

and

[tex]e^{t} u(t) \overset{L}{\rightarrow} \frac{1}{s+1} [/tex] with region of convergence Real{s} < - 1

by linearity the LT of [tex]e^{|t|}[/tex] won't exist because the intersection of the two regions of convergence will be an empty set..

now what can I say about the output? can I say that the integral won't converge and hence the output will be infinity?

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?