Finding the p.m.f and mean

• Thread starter rizardon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to probability and statistical inference. The first problem (2.5-13) involves finding the probability mass function of x, where x is the number of flips of a fair coin required to observe heads-tails on consecutive flips. The solution involves a pattern in which a head is followed by a tail, and the mean, variance, and standard deviation are also determined. The second problem (2.5-17) involves determining the average number of boxes of tea that must be purchased to obtain a complete collection of 10 different animals randomly placed in the boxes. This problem is related to a geometric distribution, but the question of how to find the probability p remains.
rizardon

Homework Statement

2.5-13. Let x equal the number of flips of a fair coin that are required to observe heads-tails on consecutive flips
(a) Find the p.m.f. of x
(b) Determine the values of the mean, variance and standard deviation.

2.5-17. From 1999-2002 Red Rose Tea randomly placed one of 10 English porcelain miniature animals in a 100-bag box of Red Rose Tea, selecting from 10 endangered North American animals.
(a) On the average, how many boxes of tea must be purchased by a customer to obtain a complete collection consisting of 10 different animals.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2.5-13
(a) I wasn't sure what pattern the question was asking for, but judging from the answer given by the book
f(x) = (x-1)/2^x , for x = 2,3,...
I guess it meant a pattern in which a head is followed by a tail. But I don't get where the (x-1) comes from or is it by inspection from each trial.

(b) The mean is given by E(x) = The summation of x(f(x)) where x starts from 2 to infinity.
The problem is how do I sum x(f(x)). It is not a geometric series, is it?

2.5-17
(a)I'm guessing this is a geometric distribution in which X = # of purchases needed to get one success(all ten animals). The question is, how do I figure out the probability p?

In case this helps, the problems are from chapter 2.5 from "Probability and Statistical Inference 7th ed. by Hogg and Tanis".

Physics news on Phys.org
The answers to 2.5-13 are given in the book, but 2.5-17 does not have an answer given.Thanks for the help!

What is a p.m.f?

A p.m.f, or probability mass function, is a function that gives the probability that a discrete random variable is equal to a certain value. It is often represented in the form of a table, graph, or formula.

How do you calculate the p.m.f?

The p.m.f is calculated by dividing the number of times a specific value occurs by the total number of observations. For example, if you roll a six-sided die 100 times and get 20 ones, then the p.m.f for getting a one would be 20/100 or 0.2.

What is the mean of a p.m.f?

The mean of a p.m.f is also known as the expected value and is a measure of central tendency. It is calculated by multiplying each possible value by its corresponding probability and then summing up the results. For example, if the p.m.f for rolling a six-sided die is (1/6, 1/6, 1/6, 1/6, 1/6, 1/6), then the mean would be (1*1/6 + 2*1/6 + 3*1/6 + 4*1/6 + 5*1/6 + 6*1/6) = 3.5.

What is the relationship between the p.m.f and mean?

The p.m.f and mean are closely related as they both provide information about the distribution of a random variable. The p.m.f gives the probabilities of each possible value, while the mean gives a single value that represents the center of the distribution.

How can the p.m.f and mean be used in real-world applications?

The p.m.f and mean can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in statistics, finance, and engineering. They can help in making predictions, estimating risk, and understanding the likelihood of certain events. For example, a company may use p.m.f and mean to analyze sales data and make decisions about future product launches.