Finding the Partition Function in Paramagnetism

In summary: Z_{1}.In summary, the partition function for a system with Hamiltonian H = -\muB\sumcos\alpha_{i} can be written as Z_{N} = Z_{1}^{N}, where Z_{1} is the partition function for a single particle.
Ang Han Wei

Homework Statement

I was given a Hamiltonian H = -[itex]\mu[/itex]B[itex]\sum[/itex]cos[itex]\alpha_{i}[/itex]
where the sum is over i from i = 1 to i = N

I need the partition function given this Hamiltonian.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the classical approach where [itex]Z_{N}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{h^{3}}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]d^{3}[/itex]p[itex]d^{3}[/itex]q exp[[itex]\beta[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex]B[itex]\sum[/itex]cos[itex]\alpha_{i}[/itex]], but I am stuck at what to do with the cos summation.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to provide some guidance and suggest a possible solution to this problem. First, let's break down the Hamiltonian into its individual components:

H = -\muB\sumcos\alpha_{i}

= -\muB(cos\alpha_{1} + cos\alpha_{2} + ... + cos\alpha_{N})

= -\muB\sum_{i=1}^{N} cos\alpha_{i}

Now, let's rewrite the partition function in terms of this new form of the Hamiltonian:

Z_{N} = \frac{1}{h^{3N}}\int e^{-\beta H} d^{3N}p d^{3N}q

= \frac{1}{h^{3N}}\int e^{\beta\muB\sum_{i=1}^{N} cos\alpha_{i}} d^{3N}p d^{3N}q

= \frac{1}{h^{3N}}\int e^{\beta\muB(cos\alpha_{1} + cos\alpha_{2} + ... + cos\alpha_{N})} d^{3N}p d^{3N}q

= \frac{1}{h^{3N}}\int e^{\beta\muB cos\alpha_{1}} e^{\beta\muB cos\alpha_{2}} ... e^{\beta\muB cos\alpha_{N}} d^{3N}p d^{3N}q

= \frac{1}{h^{3N}}\int e^{\beta\muB cos\alpha_{1}} d^{3N}p d^{3N}q \times e^{\beta\muB cos\alpha_{2}} d^{3N}p d^{3N}q \times ... \times e^{\beta\muB cos\alpha_{N}} d^{3N}p d^{3N}q

= \left(\frac{1}{h^{3}}\int e^{\beta\muB cos\alpha_{i}} d^{3}p d^{3}q \right)^{N}

= Z_{1}^{N}

where Z_{1} is the partition function for a single particle.

Therefore, the partition function for N particles can be written as the N-th power

1. What is the partition function in paramagnetism?

The partition function in paramagnetism is a mathematical concept used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a paramagnetic system. It represents the sum of all possible energy states of the system and is used to determine the average energy and magnetic moment of the system.

2. How is the partition function calculated?

The partition function is calculated by taking the sum of the Boltzmann factors of all possible energy states. The Boltzmann factor is calculated by taking the exponential of the negative energy divided by the product of the Boltzmann constant and the temperature.

3. What is the relationship between the partition function and entropy?

The partition function is directly related to the entropy of a system. The entropy is equal to the natural logarithm of the partition function multiplied by the Boltzmann constant. This means that a higher partition function will result in a higher entropy, indicating a more disordered system.

4. How does the partition function change with temperature?

The partition function increases with temperature, as more energy states become accessible to the system. This means that at higher temperatures, the system has a higher probability of occupying higher energy states, resulting in a larger partition function and larger thermodynamic properties such as energy and magnetic moment.

5. How is the partition function used in paramagnetism calculations?

The partition function is used to calculate the average energy and magnetic moment of a paramagnetic system. These calculations can then be used to determine other thermodynamic properties such as heat capacity and susceptibility. The partition function is also used in statistical mechanics to analyze the behavior of large systems of particles.