How do I calculate the period of a wave using frequency and time increments?

In summary, to find the frequency of a wave on a time scale with 5 increments between each wavelength, you can directly read the period off the scale which is equal to 5 increments multiplied by 675 ms. Then, to solve for the wave's period, you would use the formula Period = 1/Frequency or Frequency = 1/Period.
StotleD
:cry: Let' say you have a wave plotted out on a time scale. Each increment on the line is 675 ms. There are 5 increments between each wavelength. How would I find the frequency so that I can solve for the wave's period using:

Period = 1/Hz

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the problem? Just read the scale. The period is the number of seconds it takes for one wavelength to pass by right? There are 5 increments in one wavelength and 1 increment is 675 ms, so how many seconds for one wavelength?

The problem is I get 2.96E-4 when I multiply 675*5 then divide 1 by that. I must be doing it wrong

Why divide if you need the period? Also, check your units (dimensions). Period has the dimension of time, so it's measured in seconds.

StotleD : What Galileo is telling you is that you can directly read the period off the scale. You do not have to find the frequency and then invert it.

Period = 1/Hz

ok, thanks

StotleD said:
:cry: Let' say you have a wave plotted out on a time scale. Each increment on the line is 675 ms. There are 5 increments between each wavelength. How would I find the frequency so that I can solve for the wave's period using:

Period = 1/Hz
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
                x               
              x   x
            x       x 
          x           x           x
                        x       x      
                          x   x
                            x
          |<--------------------->| 
           5x(675 ms) = The Period (directly from graph)

Frequency = 1/(Period) = 1/(5x(675 ms))
           Period = 1/(Frequency) = 1/1/(5x(675 ms)) = (5x(675 ms)) AGAIN!

[/FONT]

1. What is the period of a wave?

The period of a wave is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the wave to occur. It is measured in seconds.

2. How is the period of a wave calculated?

The period of a wave can be calculated by dividing the wavelength (distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs) by the wave speed (how fast the wave is traveling).

3. What is the relationship between frequency and period?

The period and frequency of a wave are inversely related. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. Frequency is the number of complete waves that pass a point in one second, and it is equal to the reciprocal of the period.

4. Can the period of a wave change?

Yes, the period of a wave can change if the wave encounters a medium with a different wave speed. The period also changes if the wave encounters a boundary, such as a change in medium or a barrier, which can cause the wave to reflect, refract, or diffract.

5. How is the period of a wave related to the amplitude?

The period of a wave is not directly related to the amplitude. The amplitude is the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position, while the period is a measure of time. However, the amplitude can affect the period indirectly if it causes a change in the wave speed or frequency.