1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the period of sinusoidal wave in rope

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    i have a solution to the following problem but i'm not sure if it's right or not.
    If you shake one end of a taut rope steadily three times each second, what would be the period of the sinusoidal wave set up in the rope?
    Me, I thought that since I'm shaking the rope three times a second, this would be equivalent to three cycles per second, therefore if i want to find the period (cycles/1 second) I would just have 1/3 cycles/1 second. Did I do this correctly, or is it just horribly wrong? I would really appreciate it, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2
    I really need to know if i'm right or not, that way i can move on with my studying...

4. Sep 18, 2005 #3
    When I shake the rope, would it really create only one cycle at a time?
    This is where I get confused...PLEASE HELP!!!

5. Nov 25, 2009 #4
    I really need to know if i'm right or not,so that i can move on with my studying.

6. Nov 25, 2009 #5

diazona

Homework Helper

If you have 3 cycles per second, each of them takes 1/3 of a second. So the period would be 1/3 of a second.

7. Nov 25, 2009 #6
    quick reply

8. Nov 25, 2009 #7
    I really need to know if i'm right or not,so that i can move on with my studying.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?