Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the period of sinusoidal wave in rope

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    i have a solution to the following problem but i'm not sure if it's right or not.
    If you shake one end of a taut rope steadily three times each second, what would be the period of the sinusoidal wave set up in the rope?
    Me, I thought that since I'm shaking the rope three times a second, this would be equivalent to three cycles per second, therefore if i want to find the period (cycles/1 second) I would just have 1/3 cycles/1 second. Did I do this correctly, or is it just horribly wrong? I would really appreciate it, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2
    I really need to know if i'm right or not, that way i can move on with my studying...

4. Sep 18, 2005 #3
    When I shake the rope, would it really create only one cycle at a time?
    This is where I get confused...PLEASE HELP!!!

5. Nov 25, 2009 #4
    I really need to know if i'm right or not,so that i can move on with my studying.

6. Nov 25, 2009 #5

diazona

Homework Helper

If you have 3 cycles per second, each of them takes 1/3 of a second. So the period would be 1/3 of a second.

7. Nov 25, 2009 #6
    quick reply

8. Nov 25, 2009 #7
    I really need to know if i'm right or not,so that i can move on with my studying.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook