Finding the period of sinusoidal wave in rope

In summary, the conversation discusses the period of a sinusoidal wave created by shaking a taut rope three times per second. The person suggests that the period would be 1/3 of a second since there are 3 cycles in one second. They ask for confirmation and further explanation. Another person responds with a quick reply stating that the period would indeed be 1/3 of a second. The original person expresses their need for confirmation in order to continue studying.
insertnamehere
Hi,
i have a solution to the following problem but I'm not sure if it's right or not.
If you shake one end of a taut rope steadily three times each second, what would be the period of the sinusoidal wave set up in the rope?
Me, I thought that since I'm shaking the rope three times a second, this would be equivalent to three cycles per second, therefore if i want to find the period (cycles/1 second) I would just have 1/3 cycles/1 second. Did I do this correctly, or is it just horribly wrong? I would really appreciate it, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really need to know if I'm right or not, that way i can move on with my studying...

When I shake the rope, would it really create only one cycle at a time?
This is where I get confused...PLEASE HELP!

I really need to know if I'm right or not,so that i can move on with my studying.

If you have 3 cycles per second, each of them takes 1/3 of a second. So the period would be 1/3 of a second.

quick reply

I really need to know if I'm right or not,so that i can move on with my studying.

What is a sinusoidal wave?

A sinusoidal wave is a type of wave that is represented by a sine or cosine function. It is a continuous, repetitive wave that can be described by its amplitude, wavelength, and frequency.

What is the period of a sinusoidal wave?

The period of a sinusoidal wave is the amount of time it takes for one complete cycle of the wave to occur. It is typically measured in seconds and is represented by the symbol T.

How do you find the period of a sinusoidal wave in a rope?

To find the period of a sinusoidal wave in a rope, you will need to measure the length of the rope and the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs of the wave. The period can then be calculated using the formula T = L/v, where L is the length of the rope and v is the speed of the wave.

What factors affect the period of a sinusoidal wave in a rope?

The period of a sinusoidal wave in a rope can be affected by several factors, including the length and tension of the rope, the speed of the wave, and the medium through which the wave is traveling. Changes in any of these factors can alter the period of the wave.

Why is it important to know the period of a sinusoidal wave in a rope?

Knowing the period of a sinusoidal wave in a rope is important for a variety of reasons. It can help determine the frequency and wavelength of the wave, which can be used to analyze the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through. Additionally, understanding the period of a wave can be useful in practical applications, such as designing musical instruments or predicting the motion of ocean waves.