Finding Period from Mass and Time: Homework Help

• Thread starter Fabio233
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period
In summary, the conversation is about finding the period of a metal plate attached to a platform that vibrates in simple harmonic motion. The problem involves a chart with four columns, the first listing mass and the second listing average time for ten vibrations. The last two columns are blank and the question is how to find the period. It is suggested to first fill in the blank columns without using mass, and then find an association between the period and mass.
Fabio233

Homework Statement

Hey guys I am not sure how to find the period when I am given the mass and the time, for example mass= .10 k and Time for vibrations= 8.86s Find the Period

Homework Equations

Im not sure maybe f = 1/t

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to incorporate mass in this. Please help. Thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement is a bit unclear; but for a given periodic motion, period and frequency are inverses of each other and mass has nothing to do with it.

Oh I am sorry about that, well first the problem says there is a metal plate attached to the end of a platform and can be used to measure mass. when the free end of the plate is pulled down and realeased it vibrates in simple harmonic motion with a period that depends on the mass attached to the plate. Then we have a chart with 4 coulums, the first the mass which goes from .10 to .50, then the next coulum says avg time for ten vibrations and starts from 8.86 to 17.7 corresping to each mass going up by .10. The nect two coulums are blank first one saying period and the last saying T^2. I hope that helps

Fabio233 said:
Oh I am sorry about that, well first the problem says there is a metal plate attached to the end of a platform and can be used to measure mass. when the free end of the plate is pulled down and realeased it vibrates in simple harmonic motion with a period that depends on the mass attached to the plate. Then we have a chart with 4 coulums, the first the mass which goes from .10 to .50, then the next coulum says avg time for ten vibrations and starts from 8.86 to 17.7 corresping to each mass going up by .10. The nect two coulums are blank first one saying period and the last saying T^2. I hope that helps

It sounds like you are being asked to fill in a table. I think I can see what is going on, but I think you need to be clear about the question you are asking.

As you have described it, you should be able to fill in both columns without using the mass. After you have done this, then you may be in a better position to find an association between the period T and the mass.

Cheers -- sylas

1. What is the formula for finding period from mass and time?

The formula for finding period from mass and time is T = 2π√(m/k) where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

2. How do I determine the spring constant?

The spring constant can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement it caused. This can be represented as k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force, and x is the displacement.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of spring?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of spring as long as the mass is attached to the spring and oscillates in a harmonic motion.

4. What units should I use for the mass and time variables?

The mass should be measured in kilograms (kg) and the time should be measured in seconds (s).

5. Can I use this formula for any object oscillating in a harmonic motion?

No, this formula is specific to objects attached to a spring and oscillating in a harmonic motion. It cannot be applied to other types of harmonic motion such as pendulums or waves.