1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Period

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys im not sure how to find the period when im given the mass and the time, for example mass= .10 k and Time for vibrations= 8.86s Find the Period

2. Relevant equations

Im not sure maybe f = 1/t

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea how to incorporate mass in this. Please help. Thanks alot

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

sylas

Science Advisor

The problem statement is a bit unclear; but for a given periodic motion, period and frequency are inverses of each other and mass has nothing to do with it.

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    Oh im sorry about that, well first the problem says there is a metal plate attached to the end of a platform and can be used to measure mass. when the free end of the plate is pulled down and realeased it vibrates in simple harmonic motion with a period that depends on the mass attached to the plate. Then we have a chart with 4 coulums, the first the mass which goes from .10 to .50, then the next coulum says avg time for ten vibrations and starts from 8.86 to 17.7 corresping to each mass going up by .10. The nect two coulums are blank first one saying period and the last saying T^2. I hope that helps

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4

sylas

Science Advisor

It sounds like you are being asked to fill in a table. I think I can see what is going on, but I think you need to be clear about the question you are asking.

As you have described it, you should be able to fill in both columns without using the mass. After you have done this, then you may be in a better position to find an association between the period T and the mass.

Cheers -- sylas

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook