• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding the Period

• Thread starter Fabio233
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Hey guys im not sure how to find the period when im given the mass and the time, for example mass= .10 k and Time for vibrations= 8.86s Find the Period

Homework Equations

Im not sure maybe f = 1/t

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to incorporate mass in this. Please help. Thanks alot

Answers and Replies

sylas
Science Advisor
The problem statement is a bit unclear; but for a given periodic motion, period and frequency are inverses of each other and mass has nothing to do with it.

Oh im sorry about that, well first the problem says there is a metal plate attached to the end of a platform and can be used to measure mass. when the free end of the plate is pulled down and realeased it vibrates in simple harmonic motion with a period that depends on the mass attached to the plate. Then we have a chart with 4 coulums, the first the mass which goes from .10 to .50, then the next coulum says avg time for ten vibrations and starts from 8.86 to 17.7 corresping to each mass going up by .10. The nect two coulums are blank first one saying period and the last saying T^2. I hope that helps

sylas
Science Advisor
Oh im sorry about that, well first the problem says there is a metal plate attached to the end of a platform and can be used to measure mass. when the free end of the plate is pulled down and realeased it vibrates in simple harmonic motion with a period that depends on the mass attached to the plate. Then we have a chart with 4 coulums, the first the mass which goes from .10 to .50, then the next coulum says avg time for ten vibrations and starts from 8.86 to 17.7 corresping to each mass going up by .10. The nect two coulums are blank first one saying period and the last saying T^2. I hope that helps
It sounds like you are being asked to fill in a table. I think I can see what is going on, but I think you need to be clear about the question you are asking.

As you have described it, you should be able to fill in both columns without using the mass. After you have done this, then you may be in a better position to find an association between the period T and the mass.

Cheers -- sylas