Finding the phase angle in simple harmonic motion

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the amplitude and phase angle of a frictionless block attached to an ideal spring. The amplitude is found using the formula A = square root of x_i^2 + v_i^2/\omega^2, resulting in 1.10 m. The phase angle is found using the equation v_i = -\omega * A * sin(\omega*t + \phi), with an initial velocity of -12.6 m/s and an angular frequency of 11.49 rad/s. The correct phase angle is calculated to be \pi/2 radians. The conversation acknowledges a mistake in the previous answer due to a rounding error.
erik-the-red
Question:

A frictionless block of mass 2.35 kg is attached to an ideal spring with force constant 310 N/m. At t=0 the spring is neither stretched nor compressed and the block is moving in the negative direction at a speed of 12.6 m/s.

1. Find the amplitude.

I got this without a problem. I used the formula A = square root of [tex]x_i^2[/tex] + [tex]v_i^2[/tex]/[tex]\omega^2[/tex]. [tex]\omega = \sqrt{k/m} = 11.49[/tex] rad/s. Plugging in known values results in 1.10 m, which is correct.

2. Find the phase angle.

Here's where I don't know why my answer is not correct.

I use the equation [tex]v_i = -\omega * A * sin(\omega*t + \phi)[/tex]. I know the initial velocity, I know the angular frequency, and I know the amplitude. I'm solving for the angle in radians.

[tex]-12.6 = -(11.49)(1.10)(sin(\phi)[/tex] This is at time t, so [tex]\omega * t[/tex] = 0.

I get [tex]\phi = 85.5 ^\circ[/tex]. Converting it into radians, it's 1.49 (rad).

This isn't right, though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If your numbers were computed a bit more accurately, you'd get:
[tex]-12.6 = - (12.6) \sin \phi[/tex], or
[tex] 1 = \sin \phi[/tex], thus [tex]\phi = \pi /2[/tex] (radians)

Last edited:
My response is, "My answer is off by an additive constant."

I'm solving for a phase angle here, [tex]\phi[/tex]. What additive constant could possibly exist?

I messed up the sign in my previous post (D'oh!); your first answer was close. (See my correction.)

Thanks. My idea of direction was screwed up, but it didn't matter for the first part of the question because velocity is squared.

Round once too many and the error becomes greater than two percent. Argh.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium position, following a sinusoidal pattern. It is a key concept in physics and is observed in many natural phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or a mass on a spring.

2. How is the phase angle defined in simple harmonic motion?

The phase angle in simple harmonic motion is defined as the angle between the position of the object and the reference point on the oscillation cycle at a given time. It is usually measured in radians and is used to describe the position of the object within the cycle of oscillation.

3. How do you find the phase angle in simple harmonic motion?

To find the phase angle in simple harmonic motion, you need to know the amplitude, frequency, and initial conditions of the system. The phase angle can be calculated using the equation θ = arctan(x/x0), where x is the displacement of the object at a given time and x0 is the amplitude of the motion.

4. What is the significance of the phase angle in simple harmonic motion?

The phase angle is important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of a system in simple harmonic motion. It can be used to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any given time, as well as its energy and frequency of oscillation.

5. Can the phase angle in simple harmonic motion have a negative value?

Yes, the phase angle in simple harmonic motion can have a negative value. It depends on the reference point chosen on the oscillation cycle. If the reference point is chosen as the starting point of the oscillation, then the phase angle will be positive. But if the reference point is chosen as a point on the opposite side of the cycle, the phase angle will be negative.