Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the phase between coil and its magnetic field

1. Nov 27, 2012 #1
    Hey Guys,

I am just trying to wrap my head around the results Ive gotten and was wondering if anyone can check my work. I was basically trying to calculate the magnetic field along the z-axis of a infinitely long coil. Here are some questions and concerns:

1. Did I calculate the Bfield correctly? The result I get is:

B(z) = (μI/(hR^2))z [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] + (μI/2[itex]\pi[/itex]R) [itex]\widehat{θ}[/itex] - (μIR^2/h) [itex]\widehat{z}[/itex]

One strange thing I notice is that the field is linearly dependent on z, and will increase to infinity (not good?). Also, the field direction is not changing...the only thing that is changing is the the r-component of the bfield.

2. As I try to find the phase of the between the coil and the bfield...I get confused because it seems like the bfield is not rotating. But when I calculate the bfield...it has a curl.

Any help on interpreting my results? Thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted