1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the point of intersection and distance of a vector

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let P be the plane of Problem 9 and let L be the line perpendicular to P and passing through the point p=(1,1,2). Find the point of intersection between P and L and use it to compute the distance from p to P.

Question 9 is this:
    Use the cross product to obtain the normal and standard equations of the plane P of problem 5.

Question 5 is this:
    Verify that the points p_1=(0,0,1), p_2=(1,1,1) and p_3=(-1,0,1) are not aligned, and find the vector parametric equation of the plane P in R^3 that passes through them.

2. Relevant equations
    Would I have to the the standard/normal equation from question 9 or the vector parametric equation from question 5?

How do you integrate the point, p=(1,1,2) into the any of the above equations?

Would the line perpendicular to P be similar to the normal found in question 9?

3. The attempt at a solution
    For question 5:
    q=P_1+(P_2-P_1)
    q=(0,0,1)+t(1,1,0)
    (-1,0,1) = (0,0,1)+t(1,1,0)

-1 = 0+1t --> -1=t
    0=0+1t --> 0=t
    1=1+0t --> 1=1

Therefore they are not aligned.

Vector parametric equation:
    [x,y,z]=q=P_1+t(P_2-P_1)+s(P_3-P_1)
    [x,y,z]=q=(0,0,1)+t(1,1,0)+s(-1,0,0)

For question 9:
    P_1P_3 = (-1,0,0) P_1P_3 = (1,1,0)

I used the cross product to find the normal to be (0,0,-1) then plugged it into the equation:
    a(x-x_0)+b(y-y_0)+c(z-z_0) = 0

and then i got:

0x+0y-z+1 = 0 as my standard equation

I honestly have no idea where to begin for problem 10. I tried placing the point (1,1,2) into both equations, and I'm not sure if I am supposed to do that, and if I was, I wouldn't know how to use it to find the distance. :/

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?