1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the point where C interesects the xz-plane

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, this problem has several steps and i'm studying for an exam, so i need to get all of them! The first part is:
    Let C be the curve with equations x = 2-t^3; y = 2t-1; z = ln(t);
    Find the point where C intersects xz-plane. So i said let y = 0; and i'd get
    Po = (z-t^3,0,ln(t)), but i don't t hink this si right because isn't x, y, and z unit vectors? like <2-t^3,2t-1,ln(t)>?

So once i find this, i'm suppose to find the parametric equations of the tagnent line at (1,1,0); then find an equation fo the normaml plane to C at (1,1,0); I think if i can get the first part i can figure out the rest! thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2
    Using the given parameterisation we have a curve with position vector

\mathbf{\rm{r}}(t) = (2 - t^3)\mathbf{\rm{i}} + (2t - 1)\mathbf{\rm{j}} + \ln(t)\mathbf{\rm{k}}

Clue : If y = 0 then what value of t should you use to find the point of intersection?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?