Finding the potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Lagrangian for a rotating cylinder with a mass attached to a spring. The issue is with determining the potential energy, which can be done using different coordinate systems. However, this should not affect the final equations of motion as long as the sign convention is consistent. Flipping the sign on one variable will also affect the other, but this is not a problem as long as the boundary conditions are properly imposed.
rolypoly3000
1. We have a cylinder of Mass M rotating about its axis. String is wound around it. Other end is connected to a spring. A mass m is attached to the spring.

The problem is to find the Lagrangian. My only issue is with finding the potential energy. The problem asks to use the distance of the mass m from center of axis of cylinder to be 'y' and length of spring to be 's'.

If I take downward positive, I can write,( with U=0 at axis of cylinder) I can write,

U=mgy + 1/2ks^2

But if I take downward negative, U= -mgy+1/2 k s^2

So using two coordinate systems will result in two different end answers for equations of motion.

Any thing wrong in what I am doing

Physics news on Phys.org

This is just a sign convention and it should not matter in the final answer.
In this case I think that y and s are independent, right? So the equation of motion for y is just m g y'' = 0 in one convention and -m g y'' = 0 in the other, so it doesn't matter. When you are careful with the sign in imposing the boundary conditions, you should be fine.
Also, note that flipping the sign on y also flips the sign on s (so you get a different U, but that's ok - but differentiating you will lose the s^2).

So, to summarize, I don't think there is a problem. If you think there is, maybe you can post some details/

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, when the object is in motion.

How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy is PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above a reference point.

What are the different types of potential energy?

The two main types of potential energy are gravitational potential energy and elastic potential energy. Gravitational potential energy is based on an object's position relative to the Earth, while elastic potential energy is based on the deformation of an object.

How does potential energy affect everyday life?

Potential energy plays a role in many aspects of daily life. For example, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy when a car is driving up a hill, and released as thermal energy when we burn fuel for cooking. It is also used in renewable energy sources like hydroelectric power.

What is the relationship between potential energy and work?

The work done on an object is equal to the change in its potential energy. When an object is lifted against gravity, work is done and the potential energy increases. Similarly, when an object falls, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as work is done by gravity.