Finding Potential of Wave Function: Solving Liboff's Exercise

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, using the wavefunction \psi(x, t) = A exp[i(ax - bt)], the potential field V(x) can be found by taking the partial derivatives wrt to t and x, substituting them into the time-dependent Schrodinger's equation, and rearranging to get V(x) = \hbar\left(b - \frac{\hbar a^2}{2m}\right). The momentum p and energy E can be calculated using the operator relations p[hat] = -i[hbar]d/dx and H[hat] = i[hbar]d/dt, respectively. Additionally, it can be observed that the potential energy is equal to the total energy minus the kinetic energy.
Reshma
This one is from Liboff(p6.8)

Given the wavefunction:
[tex]\psi(x, t) = A exp[i(ax - bt)][/tex]
What is the Potential field V(x) in which the particle is moving?
If the momentum of the particle is measured, what value is found(in terms of a & b)?
If the energy is measured, what value is found?

My Work:

[tex]\psi(x, t) = A exp[i(ax - bt)][/tex]
I took the partial derivatives wrt to t and x:
[tex]\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = -(ib)\psi[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} = -a^2\psi[/tex]

Time dependent Schrodinger's equation is:
[tex]i\hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} + V(x)\psi[/tex]

Substituting the above values in this equation:

[tex]\hbar b \psi = \frac{\hbar^2 a^2}{2m}\psi + V(x)\psi[/tex]

Dividing throughout by [itex]\psi[/itex] and rearranging, I get the potential field as:
[tex]V(x) = \hbar\left(b - \frac{\hbar a^2}{2m}\right)[/tex]

Am I going right? Before I can proceed furthur...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Reshma said:
Time independent Schrodinger's equation is:
[tex]i\hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} + V(x)\psi[/tex]

The calculation seems correct, though.

neutrino said:
The calculation seems correct, though.

Sorry, I realized my mistake but I got disconnected before I could correct it. I've corrected it now. :biggrin:

Now I have to get an expression for the momentum.
[tex]p = \hbar k[/tex]
[tex]V(x) = {1\over 2}kx^2[/tex]

Equating this to the other expression of V(x) would mean an x2 term in the momentum expression. I am confused over this. :frown:
[tex]k = {{2\hbar}\over x^2} \left(b - \frac{\hbar a^2}{2m}\right)[/tex]

Didn't you just find out that V(x) is a constant potential? Look at your answer for V(x) above. Why are you assuming that V(x) should now be a harmonic potential?

Given a wavefunction, how do you calculate the values of observables?

Gokul43201 said:
Didn't you just find out that V(x) is a constant potential? Look at your answer for V(x) above. Why are you assuming that V(x) should now be a harmonic potential?

Given a wavefunction, how do you calculate the values of observables?

Use the operator relation?
[tex]\hat p = -i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

[tex]\hat H = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}[/tex]

Reshma said:
Now I have to get an expression for the momentum.
[tex]p = \hbar k[/tex]
[tex]V(x) = {1\over 2}kx^2[/tex]

Where does the above harmonic V(x) come from ?
Your original way of working is correct. I didn't check all the algebra though.

marlon

marlon said:
Where does the above harmonic V(x) come from ?
Your original way of working is correct. I didn't check all the algebra though.

marlon

Sorry! I made an erroneous assumption. :blushing: I think using the operator relation is the correct technique. Am I right?

Reshma said:
Sorry! I made an erroneous assumption. :blushing: I think using the operator relation is the correct technique. Am I right?

yes

marlon

Reshma said:
Use the operator relation?
[tex]\hat p = -i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]
This is correct.

[tex]\hat H = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}[/tex]
This isn't right. The RHS is simply the kinetic energy, not the total energy.

For the first part of working out the potential, you have to employ the TDSE, this is true.

However, you should recognise that this is the wavefunction for a free particle, in the form:

[psi] = Aexp[i(kx - wt)], where A = normalisation factor, p=[hbar]k, E = [hbar]w.

Hence in this example, p = [hbar]a, E = [hbar]b.

You may use the operator relations p[hat] = -i[hbar]d/dx, and H[hat] = i[hbar]d/dt to show this.

Notice also how V = [hbar]w - ([hbar]k)2/2m = [hbar]w - p2/2m
So V = E - KE
i.e. Potential Energy = Total Energy - Kinetic Energy

Which agrees with Total Energy = Kinetic Energy + Potential Energy

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses Gokul, Marlon and Worzo! Things are making better sense now. :smile:

1. What is the purpose of solving Liboff's Exercise on finding potential of wave function?

The purpose of solving Liboff's Exercise is to understand the concept of potential energy and its relationship with the wave function in quantum mechanics. By solving this exercise, one can gain a deeper understanding of how the potential energy affects the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. What is the wave function in quantum mechanics?

The wave function in quantum mechanics is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a particle or system. It represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a particular location in space at a specific time.

3. How is the potential energy related to the wave function?

The potential energy is related to the wave function through the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wave function evolves over time. The potential energy term in the equation represents the potential energy of the particle in a given region of space.

4. What is the significance of solving Liboff's Exercise in understanding quantum mechanics?

Solving Liboff's Exercise can help in understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the wave-particle duality and the probabilistic nature of particles at the quantum level. It also provides a practical application of the Schrödinger equation and potential energy in quantum systems.

5. What are some common techniques used to solve Liboff's Exercise on finding potential of wave function?

Some common techniques used to solve Liboff's Exercise include separation of variables, perturbation theory, and numerical methods such as the finite difference method. These techniques involve breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using mathematical tools to solve them.