1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Probability Density Function

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A dial indicator has a needle that is equally likely to come to rest at an angle between 0 and Pi. Consider the y-coordinate of the needle point (projection on the vertical axis). What is the probability density function (PDF) p(y)?

2. Relevant equations
    I know the integral of p(y) over all space has to equal 1. The y-coordinate of the dial is of course radius*sine(theta).

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part of the question asked for the PDF for the angle, which wasn't too difficult. Knowing the integral over all space had to equal 1 and that the probability was a constant I could see that p(theta)=1/Pi . I just can't find any recipe on how to come up with the PDF for the y coordinate, in most cases it is given! I can see that it must be zero at both y=0 and y=r, which suggests to me it is probably sine or sine^2 but I cannot prove it.

Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?