Probability of Sample Proportion Within 0.05 of Population

In summary, Person A claims that the proportion of households with solar heaters is 0.15. A random sample of 250 households is taken to determine the probability that the sample proportion is within 0.05 of the population proportion, assuming Person A's claim is true. Using the confidence interval method, the probability is calculated as P(|p̂ - p|) < 0.05. However, it is important to also consider the other tail, p(z < -2.214), in order to accurately determine the probability.
werson9339

Homework Statement

Person A claims that the porportion of household installed with solar heater is 0.15. A random sample of 250 household iataken.
Assuming the claim of person A is true, finding the probability that tge sample proportion is within 0.05 of the population proportion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the ans given is P (|pˆ-p| ) < 0.05 ,

i do it in this way ... my reason is to find the z value using confidence interval method , since confience interval is defined as how many percent are you sure that the sample mean lies in the population mean interval
[/B]

Attachments

• DSC_0164[1].JPG
    DSC_0164[1].JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone can answer please? thanks in advance!

I think you may have forgotten to take off the other tail.
p(z<2.214) is the probability that the sample proportion will be less than .15+.05.
p(z<-2.214) is the probability that the sample proportion will be less than .15-.05.

werson9339 said:
anyone can answer please? thanks in advance!

I do not look at work done in posted files. If you type out your work I would be willing to look at it. I think the majority of helpers here have a similar policy.

1. What is the meaning of "probability of sample proportion within 0.05 of population"?

The probability of sample proportion within 0.05 of population refers to the likelihood that the proportion of a certain characteristic within a sample will be within 0.05 of the proportion of that characteristic within the entire population.

2. Why is it important to calculate the probability of sample proportion within 0.05 of population?

Calculating this probability allows us to determine how representative our sample is of the entire population. If the probability is high, it indicates that our sample is likely to accurately reflect the characteristics of the population. This is important in making generalizations and predictions based on the sample data.

3. How is the probability of sample proportion within 0.05 of population calculated?

The formula for calculating this probability is p(0.05) = 2 * Φ(-|z|), where Φ is the standard normal cumulative distribution function and z is the standardized normal variable. This can also be calculated using a statistical software or a probability table.

4. What factors can affect the probability of sample proportion within 0.05 of population?

The probability can be affected by the size of the sample, the variability of the population, and the level of confidence chosen. A larger sample size and lower variability of the population will result in a higher probability, while a higher level of confidence will result in a lower probability.

5. How can the probability of sample proportion within 0.05 of population be interpreted?

The probability can be interpreted as the likelihood that the sample proportion will be within 0.05 of the population proportion. For example, if the probability is 0.8, it means that there is an 80% chance that the sample proportion will be within 0.05 of the population proportion.