1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the probability that tge sample proportion is within 0.05 of the population

1. Oct 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Person A claims that the porportion of household installed with solar heater is 0.15. A random sample of 250 household iataken.
    Assuming the claim of person A is true, finding the probability that tge sample proportion is within 0.05 of the population proportion.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    the ans given is P (|pˆ-p| ) < 0.05 ,

i do it in this way .... my reason is to find the z value using confidence interval method , since confience interval is defined as how many percent are you sure that the sample mean lies in the population mean interval

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2014 #2
    anyone can answer please? thanks in advance!

4. Oct 22, 2014 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

I think you may have forgotten to take off the other tail.
    p(z<2.214) is the probability that the sample proportion will be less than .15+.05.
    p(z<-2.214) is the probability that the sample proportion will be less than .15-.05.

5. Oct 22, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I do not look at work done in posted files. If you type out your work I would be willing to look at it. I think the majority of helpers here have a similar policy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted