1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the radius of a curve

1. Oct 16, 2004 #1
    can someone please help me, i can't figure out where the angle on the free body diagram for this problem. i was thinking of using newton's second law with a = v(squared)/R would this work?

A car goes around a curve on a road that is banked at an angle of 27.0°. Even though the road is slick, the car will stay on the road without any friction between its tires and the road when its speed is 23.0 m/s. What is the radius of the curve?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2004 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Do the forces analysis and find which force component is working as the centripetal force.

4. Oct 16, 2004 #3
    well there is no friction force so the only thing pushing it to the center would be the acceleration, is that right?

5. Oct 16, 2004 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Actually it will be a component of the normal force, try to draw all the forces on our particle, Normal and weight.

6. Oct 16, 2004 #5
    oh ok so
    sumF = Ncosθ = m ((v^2)/R)

sumFy = Nsinθ - mg = 0

i used this and i solved for R = (v^2)/cotθ but i didn't get the correct answer. can you please tell me what i did wrong?

7. Oct 16, 2004 #6

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

[tex] Ncos\theta = mg[/tex]

[tex] Nsin\theta = ma_{c}[/tex]

Look at the triangle....

8. Oct 16, 2004 #7
    oh i get it. its R = (v^2)/(tanθ g)
    thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?