1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the radius of an arc

1. Mar 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Im having trouble figuring out which equation to use for this problem. The problem states: "Consider a pilot at the lowest point of a circular arc banking upward. Find the tightest radius arc that an untrained individual can fly ( a total of +5 G, G standing for the normal force the accelerating aircraft is exerting on the pilot. For example, 6G force would be exerting a normal force 6 times the persons weight.). They are traveling at 700m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    Since this involves normal force, I thought I could somehow use: the sum of F=ma and Fw=mg
    In addition I tried using a=v squared/r and/or v=2(pi)r/T

3. The attempt at a solution
    In an attempt to try to solve this problem I tried using Fn= 5N in the equation Fn-Fw=ma By finding acceleration I could then use a=v squared/r to solve for r, but I dont have enough variables to plug in to the first equation.
    So I tried using v=2(pi)r/T giving me 700m/s=2(pi)r/T so then I could find r this way, However I do not know the value for T.
    Am I using the completely wrong equations? If not, what am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

I'd suggest drawing a diagram and making sure how much acceleration the plane will impart and how much is just a result of gravity.

As to your equation, you want to consider the centripetal acceleration here.

4. Mar 28, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I think you have it here. r = v^2/a
    Your acceleration is 5 times 9.81.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook