Finding the radius of an arc

• Thread starter jelynell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arc Radius
In summary, the problem involves finding the tightest radius arc that an untrained individual can fly while experiencing a total of +5 G force. The equations used to solve this problem include the sum of F=ma, Fw=mg, v=2(pi)r/T, and a=v squared/r. By finding the acceleration and using it in the equation a=v squared/r, the radius can be calculated. However, the value for T is unknown and needs to be determined.
jelynell

Homework Statement

Im having trouble figuring out which equation to use for this problem. The problem states: "Consider a pilot at the lowest point of a circular arc banking upward. Find the tightest radius arc that an untrained individual can fly ( a total of +5 G, G standing for the normal force the accelerating aircraft is exerting on the pilot. For example, 6G force would be exerting a normal force 6 times the persons weight.). They are traveling at 700m/s.

Homework Equations

Since this involves normal force, I thought I could somehow use: the sum of F=ma and Fw=mg
In addition I tried using a=v squared/r and/or v=2(pi)r/T

The Attempt at a Solution

In an attempt to try to solve this problem I tried using Fn= 5N in the equation Fn-Fw=ma By finding acceleration I could then use a=v squared/r to solve for r, but I don't have enough variables to plug into the first equation.
So I tried using v=2(pi)r/T giving me 700m/s=2(pi)r/T so then I could find r this way, However I do not know the value for T.
Am I using the completely wrong equations? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I'd suggest drawing a diagram and making sure how much acceleration the plane will impart and how much is just a result of gravity.

As to your equation, you want to consider the centripetal acceleration here.

I could then use a=v squared/r to solve for r
I think you have it here. r = v^2/a
Your acceleration is 5 times 9.81.

What is the radius of an arc?

The radius of an arc is the distance from the center of the circle to the curve of the arc.

How do you find the radius of an arc?

The radius of an arc can be found by using the formula: r = (l/2 sinθ) / (1-cosθ), where r is the radius, l is the length of the arc, and θ is the central angle in radians.

Can you find the radius of an arc without knowing the length or angle?

No, in order to find the radius of an arc, you need to know either the length of the arc or the central angle.

Can the radius of an arc be negative?

No, the radius of an arc is always a positive value as it is a distance measurement.

What is the difference between the radius of an arc and the radius of a circle?

The radius of an arc is the distance from the center of the circle to the curved part of the arc, while the radius of a circle is the distance from the center of the circle to any point on the circle's circumference.