1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Range?

1. Dec 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the range of f

2. Relevant equations

F(x)= 1/(x-1)(x+1) , x>1

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by substituting x=2 and x=3 this gives me 1/3 and 1/8 respectively so i get that as x increases y decreases to infinity but how do i represent that as

its just the notation and stuff i am struggling on.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi matt_crouch! :smile:
    Be systematic …

wirte it out as an equation in x …

you should get a quadratic equation …

for what values of f does it have real solutions?
  4. Dec 19, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean this as [tex]F(x) = \frac{1}{(x -1)(x + 1)}[/tex]? If so, you should have put another pair of parentheses around the two factors involving x, like so: F(x) = 1/((x - 1)(x + 1)).
    How can y decrease to infinity?

You're given that x > 1, so both factors in the denominator (I'm assuming that's what you meant) are going to be positive. The numerator is 1, which is positive. The closer x gets to 1, the larger F(x) will be. As x gets large, F(x) will get closer to zero, but will remain positive.
  5. Dec 19, 2008 #4
    Because its a 1/x relationship isnt the graph asymptotic?
    Isnt the range a part of the graph where a horizontal line cuts the graph at two points?
  6. Dec 19, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, the range is those parts of the vertical axis where a horizontal line cuts the graph at at least one point.

Anyway, what quadratic equation did you get? :smile:
  7. Dec 19, 2008 #6
    Yes, the graph of 1/x is asymptotic by definition. However, when a horizontal line (that is not part of the original graph) intersects the graph at more than one point, then the function in not one-to-one.
  8. Dec 20, 2008 #7
    Im not quite sure how you can write it out as an quatratic. should i find the inverse of f(x)
  9. Dec 20, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x2 - 1 - 1/f = 0 … for what values of f are there solutions?
  10. Dec 20, 2008 #9
    ahh i think i got it.. is the range

11. Dec 20, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

how did you get that? :confused:

hmm … i've just looked again at your original post …
    which didn't seem to me to make any sense originally, but now it's dawned on me :redface: that you probably meant "zero" not "infinity" …

in which case the answer to your original question "how do i represent that as A<y<B" is that if you know that y decreases to zero (but never quite makes it), then you write that simply as y > 0. :smile:
  12. Dec 20, 2008 #11
    ye i was getting confused because as the graph was asymtopic i was thinking that it would go to infinity but the domain would go on for infinity whereas the range which is the "output" would never quite reach it.

cheers though :D
  13. Dec 21, 2008 #12
    The "easy" way to find the range is to find the domain of a functions inverse. :wink:
  14. Dec 22, 2008 #13
    As x>1 then isnt the largest value that f(x) can be a 1/3 ? so isnt the range 0 < y < 1/3 ?
  15. Dec 22, 2008 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No … as you said …
    … f(2) = 1/3. :wink:

f(1+) = … ? :smile:
  16. Dec 22, 2008 #15
    1/0 which is undefined?
  17. Dec 22, 2008 #16

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sort-of …

f(1+) = ∞ (and f(1-) = -∞) …

but we're not really supposed to regard ∞ as a number :wink:

so instead of 0 < f < ∞, we just say 0 < f. :smile:
  18. Dec 22, 2008 #17
    ahhhh is seeeee aaawesome..
    massive help cheers Tiny Tim.
  19. Dec 22, 2008 #18

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The substance (I don't know what jawbreaking terminology you are required to use but once you get the substance you can adapt it to that :biggrin:)

Either do or don't write it as 1/(x2-1) according to what seems to you easiest.
    You were asked for x>1.
    So where do you start? At x=1 What is f(1)?
    Where do you end? At x=∞. What is f(∞)?
    f is continuous between these two values of x. So f has to include all values between f(1) and f(∞)?

For x between those 1 and ∞, for f to go out of the range between f(1) and
    f(∞) f would have to have an extremum in the range of x. First does it look like it?

Then you could formally demonstrate it hasn't.

Actually I think the simplest argument is f would have to be increasing with x somewhere in the range. You don't need calculus to show that it can't.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  20. Dec 22, 2008 #19
    Ye cheers epenguin and tiny tim u have really helped me out =]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?