1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the rate equation and rate constant

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1

ssb

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The dissociation of a compound was studied by performing measurements of
    a quantity X that is proportional to the concentration of the compound. The values of X measured at various times are as follows:

X--->1.82, 2.01, 2.31, 2.67, 3.80, 5.25
    t/sec----> 521, 617, 749, 873, 1185, 1449

Use this information to form a rate equation and rate constant.

2. Relevant equations

k= (ln {A(t)/A(0)})/t

3. The attempt at a solution

Im having a bunch of problems with this question and need a bit of a jump start.

1) the value of X: I am not given units or anything. It could basically be anything right?

2) the question states that X is proportional to the concentration of the compound. It also implies that the compound is dissociating. If you noticed, as time goes on, X is increasing. If they are proportional to each other how can the compound dissociate when X is increasing. My only thought is that they are "inversely" proportional and the question just says proportional.

3) Assuming that X has units of concentration, I went ahead and calculated the rate constant and got virtually all the same values (implying first order reaction) but the values were all negative. This is because X is increasing. Can I safely assume that these values of X are to do with concentration and assume that they are products and therefore use numbers that decrease proportionally to the given values and come up with a positive rate equation?

Thankyou for your time
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?