Finding the ratio of thicknesses of films (destructive)

In summary, the thin film equation takes into account the phase difference between the waves to create constructive interference.
nso09

Homework Statement

rD9Z6Om.png

I need help on figuring out part C which is determining the ratio between ##t_1## and ##t_2## in order to get constructive interference. I'm given the index of refractions ##n_1=1.5## and ##n_2=2## and that I know that wave 1 and 2 have half cycle shift and wave 3 does not.
I only really need help with part c since I figured out the rest.

Homework Equations

1. ##2t=(m+.5)λ##
2. ##2t=(m)λ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically did the same thing for how I did part b. Since both ray 1 and 2 have shifts, I used the 2nd equation. And for ray 2 and 3, I used the 1st equation since there is a pi difference.
$$2t_1=(m+.5)(\lambda/n_1)$$ and set m =0 since we want minimum t thickness.
$$2t_2=m(\lambda/n_2)$$ and set m =1 since we want minimum thickness also.
so
$$2t_1=\lambda/(2(n_1))$$
$$2t_2=\lambda/n_2$$

then I divide both ##2t_1## and ##2t_2## so I have this:
##t_1/t_2=n_2/2n_1## since the 2s and ##\lambda## cancel out.
Since ##n_1=1.5## and ##n_2=2##,
$$t_1/t_2=2/2(1.5)$$ therefore ##t_1/t_2=2/3##
However, the solutions say it is ##t_1/t_2=2n_2/5n_1=2*2/5*1.5=0.5333##
I don't get how I did the same method for constructive yet can't use it for destructive.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation that you set up for rays 1 and 2 would make these two rays destroy each other. If that happens, then what would be left to give destructive interference for ray 3?

You will need to consider the condition for 3 waves to cancel, rather than the condition for two waves to cancel. If you have studied phasors then they can be helpful.
See figure 37.12 here http://www.kshitij-iitjee.com/phasor-diagrams-of-waves

[The question apparently wants you to neglect the change in amplitude of the reflected and the transmitted wave at an interface between two different materials. Taking this into account would probably change the answer significantly.]

TSny said:
The equation that you set up for rays 1 and 2 would make these two rays destroy each other. If that happens, then what would be left to give destructive interference for ray 3?

You will need to consider the condition for 3 waves to cancel, rather than the condition for two waves to cancel. If you have studied phasors then they can be helpful.
See figure 37.12 here http://www.kshitij-iitjee.com/phasor-diagrams-of-waves

[The question apparently wants you to neglect the change in amplitude of the reflected and the transmitted wave at an interface between two different materials. Taking this into account would probably change the answer significantly.]
I know three waves/sources would have ##\phi=2\pi/3## so I basically have a triangle that cancels itself out.
What I don't understand is when I looked at the solutions, it said that $$ 4\pi(t_1n_1)/\lambda=2\pi(m)+2\pi/3 $$
and $$ 4\pi(t_2n_2)/\lambda -\pi=2\pi(m)+2\pi/3 $$
Why is there a pi in the second equation? Is it because on the paths of wave 1 and wave 2, there is no relative phase shift but there is one between wave 2 and 3?
I think I get how they got the two equations because it's basically the wave number times the path difference equaling a full wavelength ##\2pi## times an integer.

nso09 said:
I know three waves/sources would have ##\phi=2\pi/3## so I basically have a triangle that cancels itself out.
Yes.
Why is there a pi in the second equation? Is it because on the paths of wave 1 and wave 2, there is no relative phase shift but there is one between wave 2 and 3?
Yes.

TSny said:
Yes.
Yes.
Okay thank you. You mentioned earlier that my first attempt at a solution can't work because it made the first two waves cancel therefore there is no other wave to work with wave 3. But this time, the thin film equation is taking into account the phase difference ##2\pi/3## to make ALL THREE WAVES cancel which is why this works.

1. How do you determine the thickness ratio of two films using destructive methods?

To find the ratio of thicknesses of films using destructive methods, the films are first placed under a microscope and images are captured. The films are then removed from the microscope and a cross-section is made. The thickness of each film is measured using a micrometer. The ratio is then calculated by dividing the thickness of one film by the thickness of the other film.

2. What are some common destructive methods used to measure film thickness ratio?

Some common destructive methods used to measure film thickness ratio include cross-sectional analysis, ellipsometry, and profilometry. These methods involve removing the films from the sample and measuring their thickness using various techniques.

3. Can the thickness ratio of films be accurately determined with destructive methods?

Yes, the thickness ratio of films can be accurately determined using destructive methods. However, the accuracy may depend on the specific method used and the skill of the person performing the measurements.

4. What are the advantages of using destructive methods to measure film thickness ratio?

Destructive methods can provide more precise measurements compared to non-destructive methods. They also allow for a more detailed analysis of the films, which can be useful in understanding their properties.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using destructive methods for measuring film thickness ratio?

One of the main limitations of destructive methods is that they require the films to be removed from the sample, which can be time-consuming and may damage the films. Additionally, these methods may not be suitable for thin films or films with complex structures.