1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the recoil velocity

1. Mar 5, 2010 #1
    The nucleus of ^214 {Po} decays radioactively by emitting an alpha particle (mass 6.65 * 10^-27 kg) with kinetic energy 1.23 * 10^{-12} J, as measured in the laboratory reference frame.

Assuming that the {Po} was initially at rest in this frame, find the magnitude of the recoil velocity of the nucleus that remains after the decay.

I'm not even sure where to begin. Any guidance in the right direction would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think that the Po nucleus is a gun and the alpha particle is a bullet. The gun recoils when the bullet is fired. You can determine the recoil velocity, by applying a conservation law, what is it?

ehild

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3
    so i can use the kinetic energy to find velocity then use p = mv to calculate the recoil? can't believe i didnt think of it that way. thanks.

5. Mar 7, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Always remember conservation of momentum when you hear "recoil" :smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook