Finding the resultant vector

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure below shows the path taken by a drunk skunk over a level ground, from initial point i to final point f. The angles are θ1 = 30, θ2 = 50, and θ3= 80, and the distance are d1 = 5.00 m, d2 = 8.00 m, and d3 = 12.0 m. What are the (a) magnitude and (b) angle of the skunk’s displacement from i to f?

2. Relevant equations
    Using basic trigonometric functions, soh cah toa
    Let X and Y stands for the summation of x and y.
    Resultant vector = (X2 + Y2)1/2
    Let * stands for the resultant vector angle, then * = tan-1 = Y / X
    3. The attempt at a solution

I have obtained the x and y component for d1. Finding x = (5.00 m)cos30 = 4.33 m and for y, (5.00m)(sin30) = 2.5 m. However, I'm having the difficulty to find the other x and y components of d2 and d3 because they aren't parallel to x and y axis respectively.

For example, d2 is diagonal and I can't simply do (8.00 m)(cos 50) to find the x component because d2 is not parallel to x axis. Hence, connecting d1 and d2 will not form a right triangle which is necessary to find the x and y components using soh cah toa..

Please give me an idea how to solve this..

Thank you..:smile:

PS. If the image link above doesn't work, pls. see the copy of this question in the attached file herein..

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted