What is the shear stress in a lap joint with a double lap configuration?

In summary, the conversation discusses a multiple choice question involving stress and force. The speaker provides their reasoning for choosing option b as the answer and explains how they worked it out. They also mention using a diagram and free body diagram to better understand the problem.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See image below
Relevant Equations
Stress = force/area
Here is a MCQ which I'm struggling to answer

Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 20.58.22.png

The option with a red dot is the answer I chosen and think is right

I know that stress is equal to force/area

Area i.e. the cross sectional area of a circle is (pi*d2)/4

Looking at the simple lap joint, force is simple P netwons
hence stress is P/(pi*d2)/4 giving 4P/(pi*d2)

Not so sure about the double lap joint, but I think force must be P/2 Newtons, hence stress is (P/2)/((pi*d2)/4 = 2P/pi*d2

Thus giving me option b as the answer. Is this the way you work it out?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bolter said:
Homework Statement:: See image below
Relevant Equations:: Stress = force/area

Here is a MCQ which I'm struggling to answer

View attachment 264160
The option with a red dot is the answer I chosen and think is right

I know that stress is equal to force/area

Area i.e. the cross sectional area of a circle is (pi*d2)/4

Looking at the simple lap joint, force is simple P netwons
hence stress is P/(pi*d2)/4 giving 4P/(pi*d2)

Not so sure about the double lap joint, but I think force must be P/2 Newtons, hence stress is (P/2)/((pi*d2)/4 = 2P/pi*d2

Thus giving me option b as the answer. Is this the way you work it out?

Thanks in advance!
I agree with your answer. You can think of the double joint as two singles, each with force P/2.

Likes Bolter
I must admit I found it hard to interpret the diagrams. This link made it much clearer to me to me what was going on, and so I realize we are looking for the shear stress in the horizontal cross section in the plane between any two plates. Then you can consider drawing a FBD of the bolt, and then making a "slice" to the bolt in one of those planes and inserting internal constraint forces (which here are shear forces). That then allows you to calculate the shear stress.

Hope that makes things slightly more intuitive! I often find lots of these engineering-type problems can be fairly esoteric :wink:.

Likes Bolter

1. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two layers of a material slide past each other in opposite directions.

2. How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied to an object by its cross-sectional area. The resulting unit is typically measured in pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

3. What factors affect shear stress?

The factors that affect shear stress include the force applied, the area over which the force is applied, and the type of material being stressed. The shape and size of the object can also impact shear stress.

4. What are some real-world applications of shear stress?

Shear stress is commonly seen in structures such as bridges, buildings, and airplanes. It is also a key factor in the stability and movement of tectonic plates in geology.

5. How does shear stress differ from other types of stress?

Shear stress differs from other types of stress, such as tension and compression, because it acts parallel to the surface of an object rather than perpendicular to it. This type of stress can cause materials to deform and break in different ways compared to other types of stress.