Calculating the Speed of a Pendulum Bob Using Energy Equations

In summary: Potential energy is the energy that is stored in a system because of its potential to do work. Kinetic energy is the energy that a particle has because it is moving.
Vanessa Avila
1.) Homework Statement
A(n) 2.71 m long pendulum is released from rest when the support string is at an angle of 35.8◦ with the vertical.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . What is the speed of the bob at the bottom of the swing?
Answer in units of m/s

2.) Relevant equations
Not sure

3.) The attempt at a solution
I tried to do 2.71sin(35.8) and I got 1.585. It's not the right answer. I also tried to do do cos(35.8) but that did not work either. Are there any other equations I have to use to find the speed of the bob?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanessa Avila said:
1.) Homework Statement
A(n) 2.71 m long pendulum is released from rest when the support string is at an angle of 35.8◦ with the vertical.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . What is the speed of the bob at the bottom of the swing?
Answer in units of m/s

2.) Relevant equations
Not sure

3.) The attempt at a solution
I tried to do 2.71sin(35.8) and I got 1.585. It's not the right answer. I also tried to do do cos(35.8) but that did not work either. Are there any other equations I have to use to find the speed of the bob?

Where does the energy come from that results in the bob having a velocity?

gneill said:
Where does the energy come from that results in the bob having a velocity?

Does the energy come from the string?

The best way to solve is to draw a neat diagram and show all the forces acting on the object. This might seem trivial but helps in better understanding of many concepts of physics.

Vanessa Avila said:
I tried to do 2.71sin(35.8)
What would the result of that calculation represent? What would its units be?

haruspex said:
What would the result of that calculation represent? What would its units be?
since 2.71 is m I assume it would be m as well not m/s.

Vanessa Avila said:
since 2.71 is m I assume it would be m as well not m/s.
Right, so it is not a speed.
What do you know about potential and kinetic energy? Any equations you know of?

1. How do you measure the speed of the bob?

The speed of the bob can be measured by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be calculated using the formula: speed = distance / time.

2. What is the unit of measurement used for the speed of the bob?

The unit of measurement for the speed of the bob is usually meters per second (m/s). However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) can also be used.

3. What factors can affect the speed of the bob?

The speed of the bob can be affected by factors such as the length of the string, the angle at which it is released, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance. These factors can either increase or decrease the speed of the bob.

4. How can you improve the accuracy of finding the speed of the bob?

To improve the accuracy of finding the speed of the bob, you can repeat the experiment multiple times and take the average of the results. You can also use more precise measuring tools and minimize any external factors that may affect the speed.

5. Can the speed of the bob be calculated using any other methods?

Yes, the speed of the bob can also be calculated using the conservation of energy principle, where the potential energy at the release point is equal to the kinetic energy at the bottom of the swing. This method is useful when the distance traveled by the bob is not known.