Finding the spring constant

In summary, the spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring and can be found by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring. Its unit of measurement is Newtons per meter (N/m) and it can be affected by factors such as the material, shape, temperature, and surrounding environment of the spring. Knowing the spring constant is important for various scientific and engineering applications.
Frosef19
A 2.8 kg toy car at rest on a horizontal surface is accelerated by a spring to 4.5 m/s in a distance of 5.3 cm. What is the spring constant of the spring?

Hello, I was working on this problem in my homework but my professor hardly went over the spring constant in lecture. I was working on the problem but keep coming up with the incorrect answer.

Is starting off with F=(1/2)kx^2 the correct way to start off with this sort of problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google 'Hookes Law'

1. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain length.

2. How do you find the spring constant?

The spring constant can be found by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring. This can be done by conducting an experiment where different masses are added to the spring and the corresponding displacement is measured.

3. What is the unit of measurement for spring constant?

The unit of measurement for spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m) in the International System of Units (SI).

4. What factors can affect the spring constant?

The spring constant can be affected by the material and shape of the spring, as well as the temperature and surrounding environment. It may also vary depending on the amount of force applied to the spring.

5. Why is it important to know the spring constant?

Knowing the spring constant is important in many scientific and engineering applications, such as designing and building structures, analyzing motion and forces in mechanical systems, and understanding the behavior of materials under stress or strain.