Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the stable line of a Glide reflection

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    1. For the following matrix, determine whether it is a translation, rotation, mirror reflection, or a glide reflection and find its fixed points and stable lines.

2. Relevant equations
    Given the matrix D=
    .8, .6, 2
    .6, -.8, 1
    0, 0, 1

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I got determinant of the matrix which is -1, so the it must be an indirect isometry. Next I found that it has no fixed points by setting D*(u, v, 1) = (u, v, 1).
    i.e. u = .8u + .6v +2, and v = .6u - .8v + 1
    I solved for u and got u = 3v + 10, then plugging the new u into the 2nd equation I got that v = v +7. Hence there are no fixed points, and therefore it is a glide reflection.

Next to find the stable lines I found the inverse matrix which was,
    .8, .6, -2.2
    .6, -.8, -.4
    0, 0, 1

Then I found the eigenvalues which are 1 and -1. From there I plugged them into the equation D-1 - Iλ. For λ=1 the matrix was

-.2, .6, -2.2
    .6, -1.8, -.4
    0, 0, 0
    and for λ=-1 the matrix was

1.8, .6, -2.2
    .6, .2, -.4
    0, 0, 2

I then multiplied the matrices by [a, b, c] which gave me

-.2a + .6b = 0 ====> b = 1/3a
    .6a - 1.8b = 0 ====> b = 1/3a
    -2.2a -.4b = 0 ====> b = -5.5a
    for λ=1 and

1.8a + .6b = 0 ====> b = -3a
    .6a + .2b = 0 ====> b = -3a
    -2.2a -.4b +2c = 0 ===> b = -5.5a -5c
    for λ=-1

This is where I become confused. I know that if they b equaled 1/3a for all 3 equations then there would be a family of parallel lines [a, 1/3a, c] but that is not the case and therefore I am stumped.

I know that glide reflections have 1 stable line but I'm not sure how to go about finding it from these equations.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted