1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the strain

1. Nov 14, 2004 #1
    here's the question...the inner radius of a blood vessel with circular cylindrical cross section is distended during pressure elevation from radius a to a+∆a. assume the wall of the vessel is incompressible and the length of the vessel is constant. find the radial and circumferential infinitesimal strain, [tex]\epsilon_i_j[/tex] throughout the wall.

ok...so the circumferential strain is defined as [tex]\epsilon_i_j = \lambda_\theta - 1[/tex]. and the radial strain is [tex]\epsilon_r = \lambda_r - 1[/tex]. and the stress ratio, lambda is computed by the final length/initial length right? so is the radial strain just a+∆a/a - 1? and there's no value for the z axis since the vessel is imcompressible...so how would i get the stress ratio for the circumferential strain? many thanks...

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted