1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the temperature of a box cooled by a peltier device

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the temperature of the air in a sealed box after 15minutes, that has been cooled by a Peltier device. The set up is as follows:

The peltier device is between 2 aluminium blocks of the same Area but depth of 1cm. The aluminium block that is receiving heat from the peltier device is connected to a heat sink. The other aluminium block is connected to a larger aluminium block that is inside the cool box (there is a hole big enough for them to be in contact). The larger block blocks off the hole and has the same depth as the other blocks. A heat sink is also attached to larger aluminium block.

The thermal conductivity of: aluminium is 237 W m^-1 K^-1, heat sink 201 W m^-1 K^-1. Area of peltier is 16 cm^2
    Depth of heat sink is 7cm
    Area of heat sink is 64cm^2
    The temperature of the pelter device (cool side) stays about constant at 279K for 15 minutes (after 15 minutes its 281K)

2. Relevant equations

ΔQ/Δt = k A (T_{hot} - T_{cold})/depth

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I have assumed that T_hot is just room temperature in this case let that be (301K).
    I have also assumed that each object starts at room temperature

so for going from the peltier device to the small aluminium block:
    ΔQ1/Δt=237*(1.6*10^-3)*(301-279)/0.01=834.24

but for the small aluminium block to the larger one:
    ΔQ2/Δt=237*(1.6*10^-3)*(301-T_small block)/0.01

Then heat sink ΔQ2/Δt=201*(6.4*10^-3)*(301-T_large block)/0.07

but I have no idea how to find T_s,b and T_l,b and how I can use this to find the temperature of the air in the box
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted