Finding the tension of a string

In summary, the radius of the pulley doesn't seem to match up with what is stated in the book. The equation used to find the tension in the string is incorrect, and the moment of inertia of the pully is not significant enough to worry about.
UrbanXrisis
picure is http://home.earthlink.net/~suburban-xrisis/clip2.jpg
I need to find the Tension on string #1
The radius of the pully is 0.25m of negligible mass

I tried and always got 108N however the book says its 118N

(sin37*15*9.8)+(sin37*15*2)=108N

I don't see how it is 118??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't make any sense...Is the string ideal...?If so,then the tension in it is constant...Why do they give you the radius of the pulley...?Definitely weird...

Anyway,even so,assuming that the wire is not ideal (it would make sense),the II-nd principle for the body on the incline should lead you to the answer...

Daniel.

UrbanXrisis said:
picure is http://home.earthlink.net/~suburban-xrisis/clip2.jpg
I need to find the Tension on string #1
The radius of the pully is 0.25m of negligible mass

I tried and always got 108N however the book says its 118N

(sin37*15*9.8)+(sin37*15*2)=108N

I don't see how it is 118??

You equation is wrong. How did you get: (sin37*15*9.8)+(sin37*15*2)

Last edited by a moderator:
learningphysics said:
You equation is wrong. How did you get: (sin37*15*9.8)+(sin37*15*2)
Indeed. You have to realize that you're given an acceleration that is already in the direction of motion. There is no need to use sines or cosines on that magnitude, since it's already in component form.

You should wind up with an equation that describes the net forces on the incline's block, which (thanks to Newton) will equate to the mass and acceleration of the block (both of which you know).

Plug and Chug :smile:

dextercioby said:
It doesn't make any sense...Is the string ideal...?If so,then the tension in it is constant...Why do they give you the radius of the pulley...?Definitely weird...

Anyway,even so,assuming that the wire is not ideal (it would make sense),the II-nd principle for the body on the incline should lead you to the answer...

Daniel.

the r is to find the moment of inertia of the pully. I actually have some trouble with this. Is there an equation that I can use? I have tried many and don't know why it's not giving the answer of 1.2kgm^2

any ideas?

UrbanXrisis said:
the r is to find the moment of inertia of the pully. I actually have some trouble with this. Is there an equation that I can use? I have tried many and don't know why it's not giving the answer of 1.2kgm^2

any ideas?
If there's negligiable mass, then the moment of inertia of the pully isn't significant enough to worry about. I got 118 N using only the information provided in the diagram itself.

(PS - the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder is [itex]\frac{1}{2}MR^2[/itex] ...again, though, in this case you don't really need it.)

^^ That gap is the strangest thing... :confused:

Last edited:

What is the tension of a string?

The tension of a string refers to the amount of force applied to a string in order to keep it taut. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

Why is it important to find the tension of a string?

Finding the tension of a string is important because it helps determine the stability and quality of the string. It can also impact the sound produced by a stringed instrument, such as a guitar or violin.

How do you find the tension of a string?

The tension of a string can be found by using the equation T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the string, and L is the length of the string. This equation assumes that the string is massless and has a uniform cross-sectional area.

What factors affect the tension of a string?

The tension of a string can be affected by factors such as the material and thickness of the string, the distance between the two ends of the string, and the amount of force applied to the string. Temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the tension of a string.

Can the tension of a string be changed?

Yes, the tension of a string can be changed by adjusting the amount of force applied to the string or by changing the length of the string. Using a capo on a guitar, for example, can change the length of the strings and therefore the tension. However, it is important to not exceed the recommended tension for a string as it could cause damage.