1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the tension of a string

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1
    picure is here
    I need to find the Tension on string #1
    The radius of the pully is 0.25m of negligible mass

I tried and always got 108N however the book says its 118N

(sin37*15*9.8)+(sin37*15*2)=108N

I dont see how it is 118??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't make any sense...Is the string ideal...?If so,then the tension in it is constant...Why do they give you the radius of the pulley...?Definitely weird...

Anyway,even so,assuming that the wire is not ideal (it would make sense),the II-nd principle for the body on the incline should lead you to the answer...

Daniel.

4. Mar 2, 2005 #3

learningphysics

Homework Helper

You equation is wrong. How did you get: (sin37*15*9.8)+(sin37*15*2)

5. Mar 2, 2005 #4
    Indeed. You have to realize that you're given an acceleration that is already in the direction of motion. There is no need to use sines or cosines on that magnitude, since it's already in component form.

You should wind up with an equation that describes the net forces on the incline's block, which (thanks to Newton) will equate to the mass and acceleration of the block (both of which you know).

Plug and Chug :smile:

6. Mar 2, 2005 #5
    the r is to find the moment of inertia of the pully. I actually have some trouble with this. Is there an equation that I can use? I have tried many and dont know why it's not giving the answer of 1.2kgm^2

any ideas?

7. Mar 2, 2005 #6
    If there's negligiable mass, then the moment of inertia of the pully isnt significant enough to worry about. I got 118 N using only the information provided in the diagram itself.

(PS - the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder is [itex]\frac{1}{2}MR^2[/itex] ...again, though, in this case you don't really need it.)

^^ That gap is the strangest thing... :confused:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?