Solving Circuit Equations: A Struggle

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit analysis problem involving KVL and KCL. The conversation covers using a voltage source or a current source to activate the circuit and the role of dependent sources in determining the circuit impedance. It also includes a detailed explanation of writing node equations for the circuit and solving for the unknown voltage. Finally, it addresses the misconception of being able to suppress dependent sources and the incorrect calculation of the Thevenin resistance.
JessicaHelena
Homework Statement
A linear circuit containing two voltage dependent sources, as shown. The elements in this circuit have the following values: ##R_1 = 7.2k## Ohms, ##R_2 = 12k## Ohms, ##R_3 = 3.3k## Ohms, ##\alpha = 0.025## A/V and ##\beta = 5##.

Calculate the numerical value for the Thevenin equivalent resistance for terminal A-B.
Relevant Equations
KVL and KCL
I am having a hard time solving this. Letting \$i\$ be the current flowing into ##R_3##, ##i_1## the current flowing through ##R_1## and ##i_2## the current through ##R_1##—and the node between R3 and R1 be e_1;

Using KVL and KCL, I've managed to find that

##i + I = i_1 + i_2##
Hence ##\frac{e_1-\beta v_2}{R_3} + \alpha v_1 = \frac{v_2}{R_2} + \frac{v_1}{R_1}##

also from one of the loops around V, R3 and R2, I have ##e_1 - 2\beta v_2 + v_2 = 0##.

I have 3 unknowns so far, so I'm trying to find another equation, but I'm not sure what to do from here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 8.35.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 8.35.03 PM.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 249
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that there are no independent sources in the circuit. So the whole thing will be inert without some outside stimulation.

You'll have to place a source at A-B to activate the circuit.

@gneill
Could I just choose any source? I heard 1 Volt or 1 Amp is common, but I'm not sure which is the better choice.

JessicaHelena said:
@gneill
Could I just choose any source? I heard 1 Volt or 1 Amp is common, but I'm not sure which is the better choice.
Yes, you can choose any source of any value. Sometimes the circuit may be easier to analyze with a voltage source or with a current source, it depends upon the details of the circuit and your preferred analysis "tool kit". It'll basically be down to your intuition to choose one over the other. 1 Volt or 1 Amp are both easy to manipulate in equations, so they're a common choice for the external source.

@gneill

Couldn't I just short out the voltage source and open the current source? Is it because they're dependent?

would I also be right in thinking that v2 = vTH here?

JessicaHelena said:
@gneill

Couldn't I just short out the voltage source and open the current source? Is it because they're dependent?
Yes, you cannot suppress dependent sources. They will have an active role in determining the impedance of the circuit (Thevenin resistance).

@gneill

Okay, so here's my (incomplete) approach.

I put V=1 volt across A and B. Hence v1 = v2 - 1.
From KCL at the node between R3 and R1, I also have that ##\frac{\beta v_2}{R_3} + \alpha v_1 + \frac{v_2}{R_2} + \frac{v_1}{R_1} = 0##

This is equivalent to ##\frac{\beta v_2}{R_3} + \alpha (v_2 - 1) + \frac{v_2}{R_2} + \frac{v_2 - 1}{R_1} = 0##

This gives me ##v_2 = 0.940215##, which does give me resistance across the current source ##I=\alpha v_1##, but I'm not really sure what else to do and I don't think that is the answer.

You have some problems with your KCL (nodal analysis) equation. You need to decide whether you're summing currents flowing into the node or currents flowing out of the node, and be consistent in applying one or the other.

Call your node voltage ##e_1## as you did before. Then, summing currents flowing INTO that node, your first term would be:

$$\frac{\beta v_2 - e_1}{R_3}$$
Note that ##e_1 = v_2##, so plugging in known values that first term becomes:
$$\frac{5 e_1 - e_1}{3300} = \frac{4 e_1}{3300}$$

@gneill From the way the diagram is drawn, I thought that all the currents were going into node ##e_1##—from what I understand, current flows out of positive terminals. That's why I summed everything up. Is this wrong?

With your correction above, I got that ##v_2 = e_1 = 1##. That makes ##v_1 = 0##. And without voltage there, I think ##R_1## can then be ignored (bc no voltage means short circuit?).

Then I have R2 and R3 in parallel, which gives me R_eff = R_TH (is this right?) = 2.58824 k Ohms.

JessicaHelena said:
@gneill From the way the diagram is drawn, I thought that all the currents were going into node ##e_1##—from what I understand, current flows out of positive terminals. That's why I summed everything up. Is this wrong?
Best not to try to determine the current directions or potential values ahead of time. When you have current sources that define the direction, that's fine. Otherwise let the math take care of it for you.

Let's take a detailed look at writing the node equation for your circuit. I'll choose to sum currents flowing OUT of the node. Labeling the currents involved:
1578849637020.png

So for ##i_1## we have:

##i_1 = \frac{e_1 - 5 e_1}{3300}##

##i_2## is forced to flow INTO the node by the dependent current source, and that's opposite the direction of the labeled ##i_2##. So this term becomes negative:

##i_2 = - \alpha v_1##

Note that ##\alpha = 0.025 = 1/40## and that ##v_1 = e_1 - 1##. So that gives us:

##i_2 = - \frac{e_1 - 1}{40}##

##i_3## is simple:

##i_3 = \frac{e_1}{12000}##

Finally, for ##i_4##

##i_4 = \frac{e_1 - 1}{7200}##

Sum them up and solve for ##e_1##.

JessicaHelena said:
Then I have R2 and R3 in parallel, which gives me R_eff = R_TH (is this right?) = 2.58824 k Ohms.
Nope. You cannot suppress dependent sources to simplify the circuit. That's a definite no-no.

@gneill
Hmm. so from your help in post #12, I calculated ##e_1 = 0.956568 = v_2##. Since ##v_1 = v_2 - 1##, I calculate ##v_1 = -0.043432##. The negative tells us that ##i_4## actually flows in the opposite direction, towards ##e_1##. ( In fact, except for i3, all of the currents actually have an opposite direction to the ones depicted. )

The current flowing directly into the rest of the circuit from the battery is ##i_4 = -6.0322*10^(-6)##...

Or should I just use ##v_2## divided by ##i_3## to get the resistance? I'm still a bit confused as to how to finish off the problem.

JessicaHelena said:
@gneill
Hmm. so from your help in post #12, I calculated ##e_1 = 0.956568 = v_2##. Since ##v_1 = v_2 - 1##, I calculate ##v_1 = -0.043432##. The negative tells us that ##i_4## actually flows in the opposite direction, towards ##e_1##. ( In fact, except for i3, all of the currents actually have an opposite direction to the ones depicted. )
Yup. I purposely chose that to write the sum of currents flowing OUT of the node in order to demonstrate that in the end it doesn't matter whether you take all the currents to be flowing in or all the currents to be flowing out; the math automatically gives you a correct answer by adjusting the signs.
The current flowing directly into the rest of the circuit from the battery is ##i_4 = -6.0322*10^(-6)##...

Or should I just use ##v_2## divided by ##i_3## to get the resistance? I'm still a bit confused as to how to finish off the problem.
Since your battery is 1 V, the simplest is to write:

##R_{th} = \frac{1}{6.0322*10^{-6}}##

Thank you so much!

1. What are some common challenges when solving circuit equations?

Solving circuit equations can be a difficult task due to the complexity of the circuits themselves. Some common challenges include identifying the type of circuit (series, parallel, or combination), understanding the behavior of different circuit elements (resistors, capacitors, inductors), and working with multiple unknown variables.

2. How can I simplify circuit equations?

One way to simplify circuit equations is by using Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. By rearranging this equation, we can solve for any of the three variables (current, voltage, or resistance) and simplify the overall equation.

3. What is Kirchoff's Law and how is it used in solving circuit equations?

Kirchoff's Laws are fundamental principles in circuit analysis that govern the behavior of electrical circuits. The first law, also known as the "junction rule," states that the sum of currents entering a junction in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the junction. The second law, also known as the "loop rule," states that the sum of voltage drops around any closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of voltage gains. These laws are used to create equations that can be solved to determine the values of unknown variables in a circuit.

4. How can I check my solutions when solving circuit equations?

There are a few ways to check your solutions when solving circuit equations. One method is to use a circuit simulator software, which allows you to input the circuit components and their values and simulate the behavior of the circuit. Another way is to use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit and compare them to the values obtained from the equations. Additionally, you can use the principles of conservation of energy and charge to verify that the total energy input into the circuit is equal to the total energy output.

5. What are some tips for solving circuit equations more efficiently?

Here are a few tips to help you solve circuit equations more efficiently: 1) Draw a clear and accurate circuit diagram before attempting to solve the equations. 2) Use the proper units for all values in the equations. 3) Break down complex circuits into smaller, simpler circuits to make the equations more manageable. 4) Double-check your calculations and solutions to avoid errors. 5) Practice solving different types of circuits to improve your skills and speed.