Finding the tipping point (height at which metacentre = center of gravity?)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with finding the height/length at which a rectangular prism of wood will have a buoyant equilibrium, meaning that the metacenter equals the center of gravity. The specific gravity and dimensions of the lumber are given, as well as equations for finding the metacenter and center of gravity. The person has found a solution of 0.0302m (3.2cm) through substitutions, but is unsure if it is correct and is looking for confirmation or a correct approach. They are also considering simplifying their presentation by using two lengths of lumber instead of finding the exact height/length where the shift from stable to unstable occurs.
lilphys
Well, I spent literally 45 minutes typing an in-depth post explaining the problem, the variables, and my (probably incorrect) approach only to be logged out and having the post completely lost after pressing the preview button. Sigh... apologies if it's not as thorough now, but I've run out of time because of that 45 minute setback.

Homework Statement

I have a rectangular prism of wood (stick of lumber) that I intend to float in a bucket of water for a presentation. The lumber can be cut lengthwise (height) but will retain a specific base and width. I'm trying to find the length/height of the piece of lumber at which the metacenter will equal the center of gravity, because I believe that is the point of buoyant equilibrium, correct? Any longer and the piece of lumber will float unstable, and any shorter it will float with stability. Can you please help me find the finite height/length at which the lumber would be at theoretical equilibrium?

specific gravity of lumber = .663
dimensions of lumber = 0.035m * 0.036m * h
lumber assumed to be uniform in distribution of mass

Homework Equations

metacenter = distance to metacenter from center of buoyancy + center of buoyancy
(MC = MB + CB)
MB = moment of intertia / volume displaced
(MB = I / Vd)
I = (b * w^3)/12

The Attempt at a Solution

I eventually got the height as equaling 0.0302m (3.2cm) by using substitutions in multiple derivations of the above equations. I don't honestly remember how I did it at this point, because my work was lost when this forum logged me out while trying to post it. I know that I approached it by trying to set CG = MC, and then using substitution so as that all terms were simplified down so height was the only variable.

I don't think the way I approached it was correct, however. The answer doesn't seem to check out when I run it through the equations for finding the metacenter and the center of gravity.

I'm quite confident in my ability to find a metacenter and center of gravity for a given length/height of this lumber, but I'm not confident in my abilities of algebraic manipulation to find the length/height at which the metacenter equals the center of gravity.

Thank you for your help- I could make my presentation simpler by just using a length of lumber that floats stably and a length that float unstably and showing calculations for each, but it would be more thorough to include an explanation of what the exact height/length at which the lumber shifts from stable to unstable is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the explanation not clear enough or is what I'm trying to do not possible? I'm not trying to be impatient, I'm just wondering if I need to make changes to the question to make it understandable or if it's simply a matter of needing to wait longer.

What is the definition of "tipping point" in the context of finding the metacentre and center of gravity?

The tipping point is the height at which the metacentre and center of gravity of an object are equal, causing the object to become unstable and potentially tip over.

Why is finding the tipping point important in scientific research?

Finding the tipping point can help researchers understand the stability and balance of an object, which is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and marine biology.

What factors affect the tipping point of an object?

The tipping point is affected by the shape, weight, and distribution of an object. Objects with a lower center of gravity and wider base are more stable and have a higher tipping point.

How is the tipping point calculated in scientific experiments?

The tipping point can be calculated by finding the metacentric height, which is the distance between the metacentre and the center of gravity of an object. When this distance is equal to zero, the tipping point is reached.

What are some real-world examples of finding the tipping point?

Finding the tipping point is important in various real-world scenarios, such as designing stable buildings and structures, determining the stability of ships and boats, and studying the balance of living organisms like trees and animals.