What is the Total Capacitance After a Thread Cleanup?

In summary, the OP is asking for help with a practice question from Pearson's physics book. They are confused by the relevant equation and don't know how to solve the problem.
JJJAKE
Homework Statement
Show that total capacitance is equal to C_eq below.
Relevant Equations
C_eq= C_1+C_2+C_3+...+C_n (parallel capacitors)

C_eq^(-1)= C_1^(-1)+C_2^(-1)+...+C_n^(-1) (serial capacitors)
Capture-vert.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @JJJAKE , :welcome: !

Physics forum is not an agency that does your homework for you. You'll have to make an effort yourself first.

So: what can you do to make an inroad to this exercise ? Perhaps redraw the diagram a little ?

(as a welcome present:) Your relevant equations are not. You'll need something more elementary.

Last edited:
I can't understand which ones are parallel or which ones are series. I can say Qtotal=Q1+Q4=Q2+Q5 but not sure about Q3 because the current way is unknown at C3. Because of that, I can't calculate from V values. This is not my homework by the way, It is a practice question from Pearson's physics book.

The relevant equation in this case is Q = CV.
What about my suggestion to re-draw the diagram ? How would it look if one particular :wink: C wasn't there ?

(bit cryptic, I concede, but when I give it away the fun is gone, for you too)

I'm afraid there is no symmetry here. This is the general (worst) case. A capacitor cannot disappear if there is no symmetry. Agree with BvU that redrawing this would be helpful, in that it would reveal an arrangement that would inspire the use of another relevant equation useful in cases where nothing is in series nor in parallel.

An alternate method to the general (worst) case would be to use the Kirchhoff voltage law (KVL) around closed loops and replace the current conservation at nodes with charge conservation. When the voltage source is connected, parts of the circuit that were neutral and electrically isolated remain neutral overall as charges are induced within them to and from capacitor plates. So if one constructs appropriate Gaussian surfaces, one can demand that the sum of enclosed charges be zero. In OP's modified figure below, it is assumed that ##V_b>V_a##. This assumption sets the polarity of all plates except ##C_3##. When specific numbers are substituted, the sign of ##Q_3## will indicate whether the guess was good or bad.

Capture-vert.png

Sample equations:
##Q_2-Q_1-Q_4+Q_5=0## (red Gaussian outline)
##V-\dfrac{Q_1}{C_1}-\dfrac{Q_2}{C_2}=0## (KVL for leftmost loop)
As usual, one should watch out for redundancy. Here, only two of the three Gaussian loops are usable. It is also clear from the drawing that ##Q_1+Q_4=Q_2+Q_5=Q_{tot}##. This reduces the number of equations and unknowns.

I believe no one here knows how to solve the problem.

• Skeptical
Likes BvU
JJJAKE said:
I believe no one here knows how to solve the problem.
When tricks don't work, what is left? Show us your KCL equations for an AC input source please...

Likes BvU
After a thread cleanup, the OP has left the building and the thread will be closed now. Thanks folks for trying to help the poster.

What is capacitance and why is it important?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electrical charge. It is important in many electrical and electronic systems, as it allows for the storage and release of energy.

How do you calculate the total capacitance of a circuit?

The total capacitance of a circuit can be calculated by adding up the individual capacitances of all the components in the circuit. This can be done using the formula C = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn, where C is the total capacitance and C1, C2, etc. are the individual capacitances.

What factors affect the total capacitance of a circuit?

The total capacitance of a circuit is affected by the physical properties of the components, such as the distance between the plates of a capacitor and the dielectric material used. It is also affected by the arrangement of the components in the circuit and the type of connections used.

How does capacitance impact the performance of a circuit?

Capacitance can impact the performance of a circuit in various ways. It can affect the speed at which the circuit can transfer and store energy, as well as the stability and frequency response of the circuit. High capacitance can also lead to unwanted noise and interference in the circuit.

How can you increase or decrease the total capacitance of a circuit?

The total capacitance of a circuit can be increased by adding capacitors in parallel or decreasing the distance between the plates of a capacitor. It can be decreased by adding capacitors in series or increasing the distance between the plates of a capacitor.