Finding the total distance

Member advised that some effort must be shown

Homework Statement

Taking the age of Earth to be about 4 ✕ 109 years and assuming its orbital radius of 1.5 ✕ 1011 m has not changed and is circular, calculate the approximate total distance Earth has traveled since its birth (in a frame of reference stationary with respect to the Sun). It is asking for this answer in meters.

Homework Equations

I do not have an equation here yet, I have read the chapter on this but I do not know where to begin with this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
In 1 year how much distance does the earth travel? It does exactly one circle around the sun right? The radius of that circle is given...

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I think the age of the earth is supposed to be ## 4 \cdot 10^9 ## years. Also, the orbital radius is ## r=1.5 \cdot 10^{11} ## m. Do you know how to compute the circumference of the circle to compute how far the earth travels in one year?

Yes if I am not mistaken it is the formula C = 2*π* Radius? So, I find the circumference of the earth first? I am confused about what I do with the circumference, do I then divide it by the age of the earth?

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
I find the circumference of the earth first?
The circle in question is the one traced out by the Earth over the course of a year -- its orbital path. You need the circumference of that circle, not the circumference of the earth.

Likes Charles Link
okay, and sorry I meant multiply not divide. Thank you that helped me to the right answer, greatly appreciated!

Likes Charles Link