• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Finding the total distance

Member advised that some effort must be shown
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Taking the age of Earth to be about 4 ✕ 109 years and assuming its orbital radius of 1.5 ✕ 1011 m has not changed and is circular, calculate the approximate total distance Earth has traveled since its birth (in a frame of reference stationary with respect to the Sun). It is asking for this answer in meters.

2. Relevant equations
I do not have an equation here yet, I have read the chapter on this but I do not know where to begin with this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta2

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
In 1 year how much distance does the earth travel? It does exactly one circle around the sun right? The radius of that circle is given...

Charles Link

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I think the age of the earth is supposed to be ## 4 \cdot 10^9 ## years. Also, the orbital radius is ## r=1.5 \cdot 10^{11} ## m. Do you know how to compute the circumference of the circle to compute how far the earth travels in one year?

Yes if I am not mistaken it is the formula C = 2*π* Radius? So, I find the circumference of the earth first? I am confused about what I do with the circumference, do I then divide it by the age of the earth?

jbriggs444

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I find the circumference of the earth first?
The circle in question is the one traced out by the Earth over the course of a year -- its orbital path. You need the circumference of that circle, not the circumference of the earth.

okay, and sorry I meant multiply not divide. Thank you that helped me to the right answer, greatly appreciated!