How Far Has Earth Traveled Since Its Birth?

• Thread starter Mariesa Yeoman
  • Start date
In summary, to calculate the approximate total distance Earth has traveled since its birth in a stationary frame of reference with respect to the Sun, we can use the equation C = 2πr, where r is the orbital radius of the Earth (1.5 ✕ 1011 m) and find the circumference of the Earth's orbit. Then, we can multiply this by the Earth's age (4 ✕ 109 years) to get the approximate total distance traveled.
Mariesa Yeoman
Member advised that some effort must be shown

Homework Statement

Taking the age of Earth to be about 4 ✕ 109 years and assuming its orbital radius of 1.5 ✕ 1011 m has not changed and is circular, calculate the approximate total distance Earth has traveled since its birth (in a frame of reference stationary with respect to the Sun). It is asking for this answer in meters.

Homework Equations

I do not have an equation here yet, I have read the chapter on this but I do not know where to begin with this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In 1 year how much distance does the Earth travel? It does exactly one circle around the sun right? The radius of that circle is given...

I think the age of the Earth is supposed to be ## 4 \cdot 10^9 ## years. Also, the orbital radius is ## r=1.5 \cdot 10^{11} ## m. Do you know how to compute the circumference of the circle to compute how far the Earth travels in one year?

Yes if I am not mistaken it is the formula C = 2*π* Radius? So, I find the circumference of the Earth first? I am confused about what I do with the circumference, do I then divide it by the age of the earth?

Mariesa Yeoman said:
I find the circumference of the Earth first?
The circle in question is the one traced out by the Earth over the course of a year -- its orbital path. You need the circumference of that circle, not the circumference of the earth.

Likes Charles Link
okay, and sorry I meant multiply not divide. Thank you that helped me to the right answer, greatly appreciated!

Likes Charles Link

What is the formula for finding the total distance?

The formula for finding the total distance is: total distance = initial distance + final distance.

What is the difference between total distance and displacement?

Total distance refers to the entire length of a path traveled, while displacement refers to the distance between the starting point and ending point of the path.

How do you calculate the total distance traveled in a round trip?

To calculate the total distance traveled in a round trip, you would add the distance traveled in one direction to the distance traveled in the opposite direction.

Can the total distance traveled be negative?

No, the total distance traveled cannot be negative as it represents a physical distance and cannot have a negative value.

How do you find the total distance if the path is not a straight line?

If the path is not a straight line, you can divide the path into smaller segments and calculate the distance for each segment using the Pythagorean theorem. Then, add all the distances together to find the total distance.