Calculating the Total Mass on a Surface Bounded by a Triangle

• Thread starter r-rogerthat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the problem involves finding the total mass of a surface defined by a plane and a triangle in the xy plane. The density of the surface is given by ρ(x,y,z)=xy+z and the limits for the double integral are 0≤x≤1 and 0≤y≤2x-3. The solution does not require converting to polar coordinates and instead involves expressing z in terms of x and y in the integral. The result is easily obtained through a volume integral.
r-rogerthat

Homework Statement

Let the surface S be the part of the plane 2x-y+z=3 that lies above the triangle in the xy plane that is bounded by the lines y=0, x=1 and y=x. Find the total mass of S if its density (mass per unit area) is given by

ρ(x,y,z)= xy+z

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so i know this is a double integral. the limite will be
0≤x≤1
0≤y≤2x-3

and f'(x)= 2, f'(y)= -1

√(f'(x) + f'(y) + 1)= √6

so my equation is

√6∫∫(xy+z)

and i have a feeling I am meant to convert this into polar coordinates but how do you convert the limits to polar coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need any polar coordinates here. You simply need to express z via x and y in the integral you have got so far. And by the way, it is a mistake not to write dxdy in the integral.

A volume integral seems to yield an easy result here.

thanks heaps guys, i figured it out, and sorry about the late reply

1. What is mass and why is it important in science?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is an important concept in science because it helps us understand the behavior and interactions of objects. Mass is also a fundamental property used in many scientific calculations and equations.

2. How do you find the total mass of an object?

The total mass of an object can be found by adding together the masses of all its individual components. This can be done by using a balance or scale to measure the mass of each component separately, and then adding them together.

3. What units are used to measure mass?

The most commonly used units to measure mass are grams (g) and kilograms (kg). In some cases, other units such as milligrams (mg) or metric tons (t) may also be used. In scientific calculations, it is important to use consistent units of mass.

4. How is mass different from weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different concepts. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object by gravity. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity in a particular location.

5. Can mass be negative?

No, mass cannot be negative. It is a physical property that describes the quantity of matter in an object, and matter cannot have a negative quantity. However, mass can be converted into a negative value in certain equations when considering objects moving in opposite directions.