1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the unknown component of a vector that makes a particular angle with a known

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let u = (1,k) and v = (3,4). Find k such that the angle between u and v is [itex]{\pi}/3[/itex] radians.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]u{\bullet}v=||u|| ||v|| cos{\theta}=x_{1}x_{2}+y_{1}y_{2}[/itex]

[itex]||u||=\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Firstly I calculate the length of v and find an expression for the length of u:

[itex]||u||=\sqrt{1 + k^2}[/itex]

[itex]||v||=\sqrt{3^2 + 4^2}[/itex]
    [itex]||v||=5[/itex]

Then I find an expression for the dot product:

[itex]u{\bullet}v=3+4k[/itex]

I plug my expressions for the dot product and lengths into the definition of the dot product, and set [itex]\theta[/itex] to [itex]\pi/3[/itex], giving me:

[itex]3+4k=5cos{(\pi/3)}\sqrt{1+k^2}[/itex]

as [itex]cos{(\pi/3)}=1/2[/itex], I can substitute [itex]cos{(\pi/3)}[/itex] in my equation for 1/2, giving:

[itex]3+4k=5/2\sqrt{1+k^2}[/itex]

I rearrange and expand brackets to get:

[itex]6+8k=5\sqrt{1+k^2}[/itex]

I then square both sides to get rid of the square root, then expand brackets:

[itex](6+8k)^2=25+25k^2[/itex]
    [itex]36 + 96k + 64k^2=25+25k^2[/itex]

I move everything to one side:

[itex]39k^2+96k+11=0[/itex]

Using the quadratic formula, I get the answer that k= -2.341058209 or -0.1204802515. Clearly one of these is wrong (or both), as there can't be two angles in the same quadrant that make an angle of [itex]\pi/3[/itex] with a vector. But both of these values do satisfy the equation for the dot product of these two angles when the angle between them is [itex]\pi/3[/itex]. Have I done something wrong?

PS: I wasn't sure if this was the right forum, as both maths forums seem to be calculus-orientated. Sorry if it's not in the right place!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi phosgene! :smile:
    no, you did everything fine :smile:

however, when you squared both sides (which was correct), you automatically introduced an extra solution (for cos = -1/2, ie 2π/3), and you now need to check which of your two solutions is for π/3 ! :wink:

(ie just check that the dot-product is positive)

4. Apr 11, 2012 #3
    Re: Finding the unknown component of a vector that makes a particular angle with a kn

Thanks:) I just found out using google that the dot product is negative if the angle between the vectors is greater than 90 degrees. I had no idea that this was the case (it wasn't mentioned in the lectures). So it's crystal clear now. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook