Calculating Total Moment of Force F1 about Point A

In summary, the total moment created by force F1 about point A can be found using the equation moment = perpendicular distance x force. To find the moment in this specific scenario, you need to calculate the angle between the line connecting point A and the point where F acts and the line of action of the force. You can do this by dropping a perpendicular from point B to both lines and calculating the lengths of these perpendiculars.
United

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/Laub8lL.png
Find the total moment created by force F1 about point A.

Homework Equations

moment = perpendicular distance x force

The Attempt at a Solution

I got my resultant distance to be squrt(20). With this in mind, I plugged into my calculator:
sqrt(20) x 12 x (insert values listed below)
(numbers in degrees)
cos(35)
sin(35)
cos(55)
sin(55)

and I've had no luck with any of this.

Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
The moment is
FL sin(θ)
where θ is the angle between the line connecting point A and the point where F acts on the structure and the line of action of the force

How do i find theta though?

See drawing

Attachments

• moment.jpg
    moment.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 385
Call the point where the right-angled bend is B.
Drop a perpendicular from B to the line of the force. What's the length of it?
Drop another from B to a line through A parallel to the force. What's the length of that?

1. What is a moment in physics?

A moment in physics is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause rotation about a specific point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the point or axis.

2. How do you find the value of a moment?

The value of a moment can be found by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point or axis of rotation. This can be represented by the equation M = Fd, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What are the units of a moment?

The units of a moment are usually represented in Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system of measurement. In the Imperial system, the units are pound-feet (lb-ft).

4. How is a moment different from torque?

A moment and torque are often used interchangeably, but they have slight differences in their definitions. A moment is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause rotation about a specific point or axis, while torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In other words, torque is a type of moment that involves a rotational force.

5. What are some real-life examples of moments?

Moments are present in many everyday situations, such as opening a door, using a wrench to loosen a bolt, or pushing a door open. In these cases, the force applied creates a moment that causes the object to rotate around a specific point or axis.