1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Velocity

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    screenshot of problem: imgday.net/?di=8RMN

2. Relevant equations
    PE = MGH
    KE = 1/2 x m x v^2
    V = d/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to find the PE & KE, but I stumped at finding the velocity and it keeps saying I get the wrong answer or would it just be 20 m/s?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The above formulas are very important to solving this problem.
    Be careful with that one. v = d/t only applies for constant velocity (i.e. if a = 0). But acceleration is involved with this problem. The projectile is certainly not moving at a constant velocity.
    The answer may just be 20 m/s, but you should be able to explain why that is.

If you've already found KE, then use your KE = ½mv2 formula. Solve for v. :wink:

4. May 2, 2012 #3
    Oh, thank you so much for the tidbit. My physics teacher never explained to us like that. It's true that you learn something new everyday. :)

It's not 20 m/s, it's 20.976 and rounded to 20.98, isn't it because speed & velocity are teh same thing?

I wish I thought of that earlier, now I got the correct answer using that formula! I feel so dumb for wasting so much time trying to figure it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook