Finding Volume of Rotated Region Bounded by Equations

In summary: The inner radius is the curve that forms the part of the solid closest to the axis of rotation, while the outer radius is the one furthest away. It's not easy for me to put into words..
Jovy

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the graphs of the equations about the line y =4.
$$y=\frac 3 {1+x},~ y=0,~ x=0,~x=3$$

Homework Equations

$$V= \int_a^b ([R(x)]^2-[r(x)]^2)dx$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to use the equation, but I don't know how to find all the components needed to plug into the equation. R(x) and r(x) are both the inner and outer radius, however, I don't understand why R(x)=4 and ##r(x)=4-\frac 3 {1+x}##. I understand that (a,b) are (0,3) since that is what x equals. I'm just having trouble understanding the radius.

This website showed how to solve the problem, but it doesn't really explain each step.
http://www.calcchat.com/book/Calculus-ETF-6e/7/2/17/

Physics news on Phys.org
Jovy said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the graphs of the equations about the line y =4.
$$y=\frac 3 {1+x},~ y=0,~ x=0,~x=3$$

Homework Equations

$$V= \int_a^b ([R(x)]^2-[r(x)]^2)dx$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to use the equation, but I don't know how to find all the components needed to plug into the equation. R(x) and r(x) are both the inner and outer radius, however, I don't understand why R(x)=4 and ##r(x)=4-\frac 3 {1+x}##. I understand that (a,b) are (0,3) since that is what x equals. I'm just having trouble understanding the radius.

This website showed how to solve the problem, but it doesn't really explain each step.
http://www.calcchat.com/book/Calculus-ETF-6e/7/2/17/

Did you draw a picture? That's most helpful for these problems. Try to actually draw the solid after rotation.

So the solid you're trying to find the volume of is rotated about the line y =4. Now, what you're trying to determine is an inner and outer radius from the axis of rotation. So the outer radius is the bottom function, in this case it's just the x-axis (the line y=0). The distance of which is a constant 4 from the axis of rotation. The inner radius varies with the function provided. So it changes as you move along the path of integration. Try to set up a picture now, draw the resultant solid, then try to see if you can visualize the radii.

Student100 said:
Did you draw a picture? That's most helpful for these problems. Try to actually draw the solid after rotation.

So the solid you're trying to find the volume of is rotated about the line y =4. Now, what you're trying to determine is an inner and outer radius from the axis of rotation. So the outer radius is the bottom function, in this case it's just the x-axis (the line y=0). The distance of which is a constant 4 from the axis of rotation. The inner radius varies with the function provided. So it changes as you move along the path of integration. Try to set up a picture now, draw the resultant solid, then try to see if you can visualize the radii.

Here is my drawing, I'm not sure I drew it correctly. The inner radius is the hole, correct? So wouldn't the inner radius be what is in between the bottom drawing and the top?
problem 17.jpg

Jovy said:
Here is my drawing, I'm not sure I drew it correctly. The inner radius is the hole, correct? So wouldn't the inner radius be what is in between the bottom drawing and the top? View attachment 113477

So for the artistically impaired (like me), I would do this..

graph.png

Do you see how it's mirrored about the axis of rotation?

I see where the outer radius, however, I don't understand where the inner radius would be.
#17.jpg

Jovy said:
I see where the outer radius, however, I don't understand where the inner radius would be.
View attachment 113484

Draw a few lines from the axis of rotation to curve ##\frac{3}{1+x}##. You can also then see why it needs to be ##4- \frac{3}{1+x}## then.

Look at the case x=0 and x=3 specifically.

Student100 said:
Draw a few lines from the axis of rotation to curve ##\frac{3}{1+x}##. You can also then see why it needs to be ##4- \frac{3}{1+x}## then.

Look at the case x=0 and x=3 specifically.

Is it because the inner radius is below y=4 and what is below that is ##\frac{3}{1+x}##. So it would be ##4- \frac{3}{1+x}##?
FullSizeRender.jpg

Jovy said:
Is it because the inner radius is below y=4 and what is below that is ##\frac{3}{1+x}##. So it would be ##4- \frac{3}{1+x}##?View attachment 113487

The inner radius is the curve that forms the part of the solid closest to the axis of rotation, while the outer radius is the one furthest away. It's not easy for me to put into words..

Try reading: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/VolumeWithRings.aspx see if that helps with their better pictures. Pay close attention to example 3.

Likes Jovy
Jovy said:
Is it because the inner radius is below y=4 and what is below that is ##\frac{3}{1+x}##. So it would be ##4- \frac{3}{1+x}##?View attachment 113487
You have shaded an incorrect area that is being rotated. Shade the region under ##y=\frac 3 {1+x}## above the ##x## axis between ##x=0## and ##x=3##. If you are thinking about the wrong area no wonder you don't get the radius correct.

Likes Jovy

What is the definition of volume?

The volume of a solid is the amount of space that it occupies. It is measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters.

How do you calculate the volume of a regular solid?

To find the volume of a regular solid, you can use the formula V = lwh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height. Simply multiply these three measurements together to find the volume in cubic units.

What is the formula for finding the volume of an irregular solid?

The formula for finding the volume of an irregular solid is to use the displacement method. This involves submerging the solid in a liquid and measuring the amount of liquid that is displaced. The volume of the solid is equal to the volume of the liquid that was displaced.

How do you measure the volume of a liquid?

The volume of a liquid can be measured using a graduated cylinder or a measuring cup. Simply pour the liquid into the measuring tool and read the measurement at the bottom of the meniscus (the curved surface of the liquid).

Why is finding the volume of a solid important in science?

Knowing the volume of a solid can help scientists understand its properties and how it behaves in different environments. It can also be used to calculate other important factors, such as density and mass, which are crucial in many scientific experiments and studies.