Finding the volume of an oblique prism

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the formula for the expected shape of a deflected roof, which was described as a pyramid with a water height of 'h'. The speaker was having trouble visualizing and calculating the volume for this shape, but another person provided a 3D model and explained how to calculate the volume. The speaker's professor had also simplified the shape into smaller segments but made a mistake in their calculation. The final volume for the roof was found to be 70 m^3. The speaker was grateful for the help and did not bring up the error to their professor.
CivilSigma
Homework Statement
The current expected rain water uniform depth on a flat roof is 97 mm for a total volume of 69.84 m^3
Find the new equivalent water depth if the roof is expected to deflect downwards with a slope of 10m to 250mm according to the following image.
https://imgur.com/a/eXHnyw6
Relevant Equations
V= Base * Width * Height
The expected shape of the deflected roof will look like a pyramid with a water height of 'h'.
I am having a hard time to find the a formula for the new shape.
Can some one provide me some guidance please, will I have to use calculus to find the volume for this particular shape?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Please upload images. If the link will get broken, the thread might become unreadable.

Likes CivilSigma
I'm trying to visualize the shape of the roof from your diagram. Assuming the rectangle is a top view, are the blue shapes supposed to represent the side views? I'm going to assume so. Here's a 3D picture of what I think the roof looks like, with dimensions exaggerated:
roof.jpg

This should make it possible to calculate your volume, I think. Maybe I will crunch some numbers later, if necessary.
Edit, added: I get ##70\text{m}^3## for the volume the roof will hold.

Last edited:
Likes CivilSigma
I got a total volume of 60 m^3 .
My professor posted a tutorial. He simplified the shape into 4 corners and a middle portion.

For the corners, (the 10m by 12 m plan segments that slope downwards), the volume of this oblique triangular prism is:

$$V= 12 \cdot 10 \cdot 0.250/2 \cdot 1/2 = 7.5 m^3 \cdot 4 = 30 m^3 $$

I have to say that I don't understand why he divides the height by 2...

Then for the middle segment which is a triangular prism:

$$ V= (12+12) \cdot 0.250 \cdot 10 \cdot 1/2 = 30 m^3 $$

Well, one of us has a mistake. Here's another figure with my analysis below it:
roof2.jpg

I'm going to focus in the volume of the block minus the volume under the roof. Look at the right end. There is a rectangular pyramid with green base and vertex O. Its volume is ##V_1=\frac 1 3 2bha##. On the front is a rectangular pyramid with blue base and vertex O. Its volume is ##V_2=\frac 1 3 ahb##. The pyramid with the tan base has the same volume as ##V_2##. So the volume under the right third of the roof is ##V_1+2V_2 = \frac 4 3 abh##. The left end has the same volume under the roof. So far we have ##\frac 8 3 abh##. The yellow rectangle is one of the faces of a triangular prism with volume ##V_3 = \frac 1 2 hba## and there is another on the other side. Add these to what we already have for a total volume under the roof of ##\frac {11} 3 hba##. The volume of the solid block is ##V=3a2bh =6abh##. So the volume above the roof is ##V=6abh -\frac{11} 3 abh = \frac 7 3 abh##. In your picture ##a=10,~b=12,~h = \frac 1 4##. So ##V = \frac 7 3\cdot 10 \cdot 12\cdot \frac 1 4 = 70##.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes CivilSigma
Wow, thank you. That was really well explained, I really appreciate your help

CivilSigma said:
Wow, thank you. That was really well explained, I really appreciate your help
So did you figure out what your Professor had wrong and point it out to him?

LCKurtz said:
So did you figure out what your Professor had wrong and point it out to him?
To be honest, I did not figure out his error. I' am taking a condensed summer class and I kind of let it go as we have already moved on to other topics and assignments/projects.

1. How do you find the volume of an oblique prism?

To find the volume of an oblique prism, you need to multiply the area of the base by the height of the prism. The formula for volume of an oblique prism is V = Bh, where B is the area of the base and h is the height of the prism.

2. What is the difference between an oblique prism and a regular prism?

An oblique prism is a three-dimensional shape with two parallel and congruent polygonal bases that are not perpendicular to the lateral faces. A regular prism, on the other hand, has perpendicular bases and lateral faces that are rectangular or square.

3. How do you calculate the area of the base of an oblique prism?

The area of the base of an oblique prism can be calculated by finding the area of the base shape and then using the formula for finding the area of a parallelogram, which is base times height. If the base is a triangle, the formula would be 1/2(base x height).

4. Can the volume of an oblique prism be negative?

No, the volume of an oblique prism cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object, and it is always a positive value.

5. How can you use the volume of an oblique prism in real-life applications?

The volume of an oblique prism can be used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the amount of liquid that can be held in a tilted water tank, determining the capacity of a slanted storage container, or finding the amount of soil needed to fill a sloped garden bed.