Finding The Volume Of Solid Using Triple Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses how to set up a triple integral to find the volume of a given solid. The solid is described as the region inside a cylinder and above the xy plane, and below a diagonal plane. The conversation includes a suggestion to use polar coordinates and a discussion on how to set up the triple integral. The conversation also discusses using trigonometric substitution to integrate the triple integral and describes the process step by step. The final result is found to be 27 pi, which is the volume of the solid.
wubie
Hello,

I am having trouble setting up triple integrals to find a volume of a given solid. Here is one of the questions with which I am having trouble.

Find the volume of the region inside the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 9, lying above the xy plane, and below the plane z = y + 3.

Now I can see that the projection of the solid on the xy plane is the circle x^2 + y^2 = 9. And I think I can visualize the plane z = y + 3 with respect to the cylinder - it slices the cylinder in half diagonally. But I am not sure how to set up the triple integral.

This is the way I would set up the integral

Let E be the solid in question. Then

E = {(x,y,z) | -3 <= x <= 3, -(9-x^2)^1/2 <= y <= (9-x^2)^1/2, 0 <= z <= y + 3 }

If I was to integrate using these limits I would then integrate with respect to z first, then y, then x.

Now I know that it would be easier to eventually convert to polar coordinates but I would like to know if the way I set up the triple integral to find the volume of the solid is correct so far.

int.[-3,3] int.[-(9-x^2)^1/2,(9-x^2)^1/2] int.[0,y+3] 1*dz*dy*dx

How does that look so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same thing.

Thanks Tom.

I am still having trouble with this question. The easiest part should be integrating the triple integral but I can't seem to get it.

I first integrate with respect to z.

int.[0,y+3] 1*dz = y + 3.

I now integrate with respect to y.

int.[-(9-x^2)^1/2,(9-x^2)^1/2] y + 3 dy =

(y^2)/2 - 3y | .[-(9-x^2)^1/2,(9-x^2)^1/2] =

(((9-x^2)^1/2)^2)/2 + 3((9-x^2)^1/2)) - [((-(9-x^2)^1/2)^2)/2 + 3(-(9-x^2)^1/2)) =

(9-x^2)/2 + 3(9-x^2)^1/2 - [(9-x^2)/2 - 3(9-x^2)^1/2] = 6(9-x^2)^1/2

Now I should integrate with respect to x. But I can't seem to do it / remember how to integrate this part:

int.[-3,3] 6(9-x^2)^1/2 dx

Any further help is appreciated.

BTW, would I be able to integrate this integral with trig substitution? If so. I cannot remember how to do that. Could someone guide me / help me recall the process? Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. It's been awhile since I have done trig. substitution, but I believe that that is the way to go here. (Stop me if I am wrong please). 8)

So I presently have

I now do my trig. sub. by letting x be 3 sin theta. Therefore

dx = 3 cos theta dtheta

I also change my limits.

If x = 3 then theta should be pi/2 and if x = -3 then theta should be -pi/2.

Now to integrate:

If I let x = 3 sin theta then

becomes

6 * int. [-pi/2, pi/2] (9 - (3sin theta)^2)^1/2 * 3 cos theta dtheta

which then becomes

6 * int. [-pi/2, pi/2] (9 - 9 sin^2theta)^1/2 * 3 cos theta dtheta

which becomes

6 * int. [-pi/2, pi/2] (9 (1 - sin^2theta))^1/2 * 3 cos theta dtheta

which becomes

6 * int. [-pi/2, pi/2] 3 * (1 - sin^2theta)^1/2 * 3 cos theta dtheta

which then becomes

54 * int. [-pi/2, pi/2] (cos^2theta)^1/2 * cos theta dtheta

then

54 * int. [-pi/2, pi/2] cos theta * cos theta dtheta

which becomes

54 * int. [-pi/2, pi/2] cos^2theta dtheta.

Now using the trig. identity

cos^2 = (1+cos2theta)/2
I get

54 * int. [-pi/2, pi/2] (1+cos2theta)/2 dtheta.

which becomes

27 * [ theta + 1/2 * sin2theta] with the limits [-pi/2, pi/2].

Then sub. in the limits.

27 * [ pi/2 + 0 - (-pi/2 + 0) ] = 27 * 2pi/2 = 27 pi.

Anyway, that is what I did and that is what I got. Have I made errors? Or did I do fine? And is this the volume of the solid?

1. What is the concept of finding the volume of a solid using triple integrals?

The concept of finding the volume of a solid using triple integrals is based on dividing the solid into small infinitesimal pieces and calculating the volume of each piece. These volumes are then summed up using triple integrals to find the total volume of the solid.

2. How do you set up the triple integrals for finding the volume of a solid?

The triple integrals are set up by integrating the function representing the volume of each infinitesimal piece over the three dimensions of the solid. The limits of integration are based on the boundaries of the solid in each dimension.

3. What are the applications of finding the volume of a solid using triple integrals?

Finding the volume of a solid using triple integrals is commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to calculate the volume of complex objects such as irregularly shaped containers, fluid flow through pipes, and mass distribution in three-dimensional objects.

4. What are some common challenges faced when using triple integrals to find the volume of a solid?

Some common challenges include setting up the correct limits of integration, dealing with irregularly shaped objects, and handling complex functions that represent the volume of each infinitesimal piece.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the volume of a solid besides using triple integrals?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using cross-sections, cylindrical shells, or the disk/washer method. However, these methods may not be applicable for all types of solids and may require additional calculations or approximations.