1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the volume with Shell method

1. Sep 12, 2005 #1
    the volume that i get is a negative value, there must be something wrong with my working.
    is shell height = y + 2 - y^2
    or i am wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

The shell Method:
    When taking a volume of revolution about the y-axis, the formula is,

[tex]V = \int_{x_0} ^{x_1} xy \ dx[/tex]

where x is the radius of the shell, dx represents the shell thickness and y is the length, or height, of the shell.

Since, in this case, you are taking negative y-values, then you will get a negative answer for the volume. Simply change the sign.

You have two curves to contend with, so you should make up the integral like this,

[tex]V = \int_0 ^1 xy_1 \ dx + \int_1 ^2 xy_2 \ dx[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{where}\ y_1\ \mbox{is}\ \sqrt{x}\ \mbox{and}\ y_2\ \mbox{is}\ (x-2).[/tex]
  4. Sep 13, 2005 #3
    thank you, but im a bit confused.
    im doing some self-study here, and the formula they wrote in the book is what i wrote in the first line.
    btw, the x-axis is the axis of rotation.

nvm. i try to figure it out again :)
  5. Sep 13, 2005 #4
    ...don't you mean:

6. Sep 13, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

thanks for the correction,

y = f(x)

and I completely missed out the 2pi !!
  7. Sep 13, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

Sorry about the confusion there. I'm afraid I misread your work. Actually, I'd never heard of the shell method before.

You working is correct. The shell height/length is (y + 2 - y²). And you will have gotten a volume of -5pi/6 units, yes?
    I got a volume of +5pi/6 units using my volume of revolution method - which I've now found out is called the disk method or washer method.

You are getting a negative value simply because you are using negative y-values for the radius, but +ve values for the shell height.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?