1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the volume

1. Dec 26, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    Is there a guideline that one can follow when finding the volume of a solid obtained by revolving over a region. The three methods that i know are disk, washer, and shell method. But i dont know when to apply which method. My book doesn't explain it clearly. If anyone could help me with this, i will appreciate it. Thanking you, and have a safe and wonderful holiday.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2005 #2

Depends on the symmetry of the object and how it is rotated, but you can apply both if you want. Actually, this is a good exercise...

Check out :

shell method I used this website when i tutored students in college. I recommend it...
    disk and shell method

regards
    marlon

4. Dec 26, 2005 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could use Pappus' Second Theorem.

5. Dec 27, 2005 #4
    thanks marlon, i will check it out.

6. Dec 27, 2005 #5
    I am not familiar with Pappus' Second theorem. We never learned that theorem. Thanks

7. Dec 28, 2005 #6
    You use the disk method when you know you can distinquish a inner and outer fuction, and want to produce a glass china.
    To use the waster method, you are trying to find many A(x), to do a intergral of many A(x)dx s. you see, A(x) can have different geometries( If you were to do a disk erercise with and waster method, then A(x) is always a damn circle)
    The shell method is sort of like the waster method, but all you are doing is rotating a figure accross a given axis.
    My recommendation is to read that section 5 times, and try to understand it intuitively. My advice cannot do a damn thing for you, but it helps me to reflect more deeply.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  8. Dec 28, 2005 #7

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Jan 2, 2006 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?