1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the wavespeed

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A transverse wave is represented by the function y = 2.3 sin (1.90 x - 25.0t) meters where y, x and t are in meters, meters and seconds respectively. Determine the wave speed in m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    x = A_0 sin (kx - vt)

3. The attempt at a solution
    If it's asking for the wave speed, and according to the formula, the wave speed should be 25 m/s and yet the answer is not that. I don't understand what exactly I'm not getting or how I should proceed from here. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

HI Hibiscus,

The equation that you have in section 2 does not look right. Here are two forms for the wave equation:

y = A \sin(k x -\omega t)

y = A \sin[ k (x-vt)]

The equation they give matches the first form, so 25 is the angular frequency.
  4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    Ah. I guess I put it wrong. In the answer sheet, the form you gave is the way in which it appears. It says, y = A_o sin (k (x - vt) and then it says to equate the terms. And I still don't understand how.
  5. Apr 25, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

So you're given y=2.3 sin (1.90 x - 25.0t)

Rewrite it so it fits the form y = A sin[ k (x - v t) ]

So what do you have to do to (1.9 x - 25.0 t) to get it in the form

k ( x - v t)

(Or since you know [itex]\omega[/itex] you can find how v and [itex]\omega[/itex] are related. It's really the same thing either way you solve it.)
  6. Apr 25, 2008 #5
    Ah! Got it! Thank you! =D
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?